Two totally different questions...

J

jdragunas

First question... Is there an equation for me to calculate the volume of a tank w/ just the measurements?
Secondly... I just changed to a sand substrate. I read that this is a grea substrate because it stays clean longer, and it's better for the fish. However, My sand is getting brown from algae. I was told that a cleaup crew would fix that, so i bought 6 snails, 3 hermit crabs, and a cleaner shrimp (to clean my fish), but they're only cleaning the glass and the rocks. What can i get in my tank to keep the sand clean. I already have 2 lawnmower blennies as well, but they only eat my LR, and frozen foods... I was told by my LFS that there's nothing that will make it clean, and that when i do water changes, i should agitate the surface of the sand, and vacuum the debris it kicks up... i looked at her like she was crazy, because that'll release the nitrates in the sand, right? Also, i don't want to vacuum up my sand, because it's LS, and i don't want to lose the bacteria.
Any suggestions?

joker_ca

i suspect your tank is going through a small cycle with the sand which is causing the brown algea (im assuming) aka diatoms check your water parameters to see if this is happening, if so give it some time and the diatoms will go away
if this isnt whats happening then try adding some fighting conch and some nassarius snails to help trun over the sand, also good water movement helps cut down on the amount of diatoms growing on the sand

J

jdragunas

ok, another question as well. When they say "surface agitation", how much agitation is that? My surface water is wavy, but it doesn't break. Should it?

jerthunter

Well someone already told you how to get the volume, however if you use the metric system it is so much easier to convert. 1 cubic centimeter is equal to 1 mL. So all you have to do is measure the size in cm, multiply all three lengths, and then you have the volume in mL, and then all you have to do is divide the answer by 1000 to get the Liter volume. Of course most people still prefer gallons but I figured I'd let you know about this way too.
As far as cleaning the sandbed, I have been looking into that problem as well and the solution I found is to go with Nassarius snails.

J

jdragunas

Originally Posted by joker_ca
it sounds fine, also a skimmer helps to oxygenate the water as well as the surface agitation
I have a protein skimmer in my wet/dry filter.

derxz

Originally Posted by Jerthunter
Well someone already told you how to get the volume, however if you use the metric system it is so much easier to convert. 1 cubic centimeter is equal to 1 mL. So all you have to do is measure the size in cm, multiply all three lengths, and then you have the volume in mL, and then all you have to do is divide the answer by 1000 to get the Liter volume. Of course most people still prefer gallons but I figured I'd let you know about this way too.
As far as cleaning the sandbed, I have been looking into that problem as well and the solution I found is to go with Nassarius snails.

being a biochem major I prefer the metric system as well, but most users can't equate liters or like using them. i give you props though.

murph

I agree derxz. This is a perfect example of how perception is everything. I am sure if all of us were faced with measurement conversions on a daily basis we would have converted to the metric system years ago. After all what would you rather do, just move the decimal point or find the calculator?
But were not and we didn't.

derxz

off topic rant*** it drives me insane. Im glad my motorcycle is metric, much easier to find the next smaller socket rather than reducing some fraction, bla bla bla. It's more ignorance than rebellion. It would make life so much easier.