Type of Lighting Do i Need?

jawz

Ok im plannin to possibly makin a small say 5-10 gallon nano. I just want some live rock, bout 1lb per gallon, and a clownfish to go in there.Note i am not doing this cuz of saving nemo Cr@p. Ive heard in the past is that all u need is enough light to see ur fish basicly. Someone help me out.

reefnut

Normal output lighting would be fine as long as you do not plan to keep corals. You can get a standard 10g kit that comes with a NO strip light and hood and just use that.

justinx

True . . . . fish are non-photosynthetic so they dont need high powered lighting. The standard lighting that comes with aquariums will be fine.
HOWEVER . . . . since you are not going to be buying strong lighting, I would strongly encourage you to purchase a bigger tank. 10 gallons is small for a clown, let alone a 5. I know that there are people that keep clowns in like 7 gallon tanks etc. but, this is not a common or encouraged practice IMO. Fish need room to swim, in a 10 gallon with 10lbs of rock, there is going to be little to no swimming area.
Your tank is your choice
HTH
Justin

maxweljames

If you are planning a wide variety or corals I'd say you should shoot for around 50 watts total. A CF or VHO setup would be great on a 10 gallon nano. You might be able to get away with a light in the 30 watt range since it's a shallow tank. But I would rather have the 50 or better.

maxweljames

I'd still shoot for the 30 watt range. 3 reasons, they'll grow better, they'll look better, and you still have the option of other corals later instead of just the coralline