types of corals

falynharris

does anyone know what types of corals do best under 400 watt 20000k xm metal halide bulbs w/ super actinic vho bulbs. 2ft. deep aquarium.

babyb

imo i think that any coral would do great, even a clam but you might want to wait till someone a little higher up in there knowledge chimes in
nice to see another okie here

falynharris

ONly Zoo's and mushroom poylps seem to do well. Our hammer, octos, and many other things keep dying. We keep taking the water in for testing, and everything is fine. We do regular water changes, and for some reason any hard corals we get... die. The only thing we can figure out (and the guy that is helping us) is the lighting....

nycbob

the light u hv is sufficient. i would think its ur water parameters. where r u getting ur corals from? same place or different place? u hv to test for everything including calcium, alk and phosphate. r u providing good flow? try to post a pic of ur tank.

dogstar

Possibly a light acclimation issue...thats pretty strong lighting and IMO, anything newly aquired should be slowly acclimated to them because most likely its stronger than what they were used to....just a thought.

ninjamini

could be a light acclimation issue. Dont take water into get tested you need to learn how to do it your self.
Test for:
Ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
ph
salinity
phosphates
calcium
alkalinity
next we need to look at flow and water movement. Also what kinda fish and clean up crew do you have.

falynharris

we know how to test the water, we just were not for sure if our readings were right so we would take it in too. They always end up matching though. We have hermits, snails, peppermint shrimp and a star. But starfish is even looking pitiful. The tank is a 200 gallon. We have a damsel, a blue devil, foxface, gold rim tang, flame angel, 2 clowns, engineer goby, striped, and spotted dragonets, scooter blenny, and a fairy wrasse.

dallas612

Is that 400 total watts from those lights? if so thats only 2 watts per gallon on a 200 gallon tank and i dont think that is enough unless you put the corals right under the lights. i have heard that a halide bulb only covers 2 foot in length so anything needing high lighting and out of that range probably wont do well.
btw, im new to the reef stuff also so dont take my word for it. lol.

falynharris

3 400 watt metal halide
2 super actinic florescent bulbs
and moon lights
but the temperature do flux a couple of degrees
75-78

maxalmon

Couple of questions.
What brand of bulbs and brand of fixture? How long do you run them? IF it's a HQI fixture, is the UV shield in place?
When you bring a new coral home, how do you introduce it to the tank? specifics help on this questions
Are you buying your corals from the same place everytime?
Whats the SG of your water? and how are you testing it?
I'm almost inclined to think that this may be one of the issue as fish can tolerate failry wide ranges in SG swing, inverts and corals will not.
Your temp has a low of 75? How are you getting this reading? IT's really low if it's accurate and I would raise the temp of the tank over a week or so to 79-80
What type of substrate?
Did you use RO water?
Please post the actuall readings of your tank water, both yours and the LFS readings.
What are your phosphate readings?

maxalmon

Just to be on the safe side, I would do a 50% or more water change. Using either reef crystal, Tropic Marine Pro or any of the other salts designed for coral tank.
Run phosban and some good quality carbon.
Oh yeah, do you have a skimmer? Don't remember seeing that in your equipment list

falynharris

the metal halides are xm, and fluorescents are uv lighting co.
the fixture is a ultra-light brand. they run for 8 hours.
new corals, i temp. accumulated, and place in bottom or lower lighting. and i buy them mainly from one local guy.
SG is 23 to 25 and test with a hydro meter
temp is by a in water aquarium thermometer
i use ro water, i have a 4- stage ro-di filter
the calcium is 420, and alkalinity is 5. same at store
i use crystal reef salt
i have a skimmer
my filter is a fluval fx5 i know i need a sump filter that is my next purchase.
my soft corrals look good it is just some hard corals, had an octo die and a open brain, a candy cane, and now my fox coral is kind of shady, it looks better now though. t
i don't have a chiller and the temp has been going up and down a couple of degree each day during our 100 degree days
but now that it is cooler it is staying around 78
i also use fiji gold for my calcium supplement.
i dont have real nice power heads, but have good circulation
i also talked to th guy at the store i get my corals at today and he mentioned i might have to much blue spectrum.
i will post some pictures of my corals later tonight

maxalmon

Couple of things, Hydrometers are notoriously inaccurate. If it's the kind thats about the size of a deck of cards and you fill with water and see where the floating thing lands, you need to throw it away. The ones that look like floating thermometers are also junk....
Get a refractometer (sold on this site) this will be the best $40 you ever spend

Floating and Liquid Crystal thermometers are close, but never correct. For $8.00 you can get a Coralife Digital Thermometer
The goal is to keep things as stable as possible, temp swings are natural, but wild swings can cause stress.
I can almost bet that you have a SG issue, too low or too high can create all kinds of problems.