Typhoon RODI Question

cmack

Should the last chamber (DI) be full of water? If I open the fresh water valve all the way, the DI chamber empties out to about 1/4 full. Is this normal? Does it matter if it is not all the way full?
Thanks.

alsie

mine runs around 1/4 full and always has. e/mail walter if your really concerned. i think it's normal

S

sebae0

mine does the same thing also, i contacted walter and this is normal. mine eventually became full after a couple of weeks.

cmack

Thanks for the responces, Is it actually filtering the water properly like this? I've been using it for about 3 months, and still have ALOT of algae, and ALOT of what I believe to be Diatoms (kinda orange-Brown collored). I'll post a pic if necessary.
Thanks Again

dpdiver

Yes, more than likely it is filtering properly. To make sure you should test your RO/Di water for phosphates PO4 and silicates Si. I had a problem with the diantioums but I cut back on my feeding a bit and that helped. I also adjusted the time I had my lights on to adjust the amount of Alge I had growing. Once I did this my tank is much cleaner. But this is just my .02.
HTH
Milt

cmack

My Phosphate kit has always read 0, but it may be off...
I guess I'll take a water sample and have it tested at my LFS.

n2deep

Yes you should get one. Other wise you will not know how well it is filtering. I dont think your source water is the root of your problem. What do you feed your fish?

javatech

if you want to get the air out just run the unit and open the di cart a bit till water comes out then close it

seaham358

cmack,
The fish barn in E. Fishkill sells TDS meters. I have a typhoon also and I get 0 TDS as an end product. I use water up to 10 TDS before I change my DI.

alsie

I don't know how long your tank has been up and running but diatoms drove me crazy also. I had a green hair algae bloom around 3 months after set up and after that went away here comes those cruddy diatoms and went crazy trying to get it to stop. Like most of the posts here stated it was my tank cycling and they were 100% right. Getting a Typhoon helped also (I never used straight tap water) In time they stopped and realized it was my tank finally cycling. My tank took around 8 months from 1st setting up to getting to this point. Of course changing and adding LR & more sand didn't help. Good Luck and be patient. hehehehe. Just my $.02 worth.