U Tube Fear

N

nd23rin

OK another question. I am using a standard overflow with a U tube right now, and every night I am in fear that if the suction is lost, I will wake up to feet of water in my living room....what can I do to prevent this??

scotts

Not sure how a u-tube would lose suction. The only way would be if a bunch of air got into the u-tube. I have been running mine for several years now and I have never lost suction in the overflow. You should also turn your pump off a couple of times just to prove to yourself that your overflow will work if the power goes out and then comes back on.

cjml

Originally Posted by biotank14
put a small hole in it that will fix your fear
Where do you put the hole?

reefkprz

the hole will allow you to add an aqualifter pump to remove any air bubbles, the hole alone without an aqua lifter, will just ruin your u tube.

reefkprz

as long as your flow rate from your return pump is high enough and you keep the tube clean, air should pass right through the u tube, only had two problems in the years i have had a u tube overflow and that was because it was dirty and gunked up with coraline and tube worms on the inside reducing flow, the second time was my return pump line was getting clogged reducing flow rate.

stanlalee

your siphon will not break for no reason and if it does your sump/return pump section should be designed so that after a few gallons at best the pump will be running dry and you dont loose a massive amount of water. once the water goes below the baffle that seperates the return pump from the fuge there will be no more water to pump. the smaller the pump section the less water will spill. If your lucky with the space between the waterline and top of your tank you will only lose a minimal amount. there is a better chance of a snail or algae build up clogging it than the siphon just breaking for no reason.. it just doesn't happen. I'd be more worried with the CPR style