U-Tube?

blowfish1

put an air tube about half way through it and suck the air out. the water will start to flow by it self
keep trying you will get good at it
get a long tube so you will not suck water
need more info Blowfish770@yahoo.com

trigger11

Yes, I would use a piece of air tubing. Put it up in there so it is just at about the halfway point at the top of tube. Suck the air in like you were going to syphon water out of a gas tank. This usually leaves a small place that will have air at the top of the tube. This will usually clear itself up if your pump is strong enough. (but do keep an eye on it) One other thing to consider if you havent started it yet will be to cover the outside of the tube with some stretch electrical housing stuff. I think thats what it is called. I got in an auto parts store. Basically a long piece of plastic with a slit cut down the middle. I use this so the U-Tube doesnt get any algae in it from the lights. If you get too much algae in there it will stop the syphon. (found out the hard way)
~trigger

kynekke

Option #2... fill the tube with water and seal both ends with saran wrap, holding it shut with your hands. Turn the tube over, holding tightly so the saran wrap holds in the water. Once the U Tube is seated in the overflow, pull both ends of the saran wrap off, pulling the sump side .000001 second faster than the tank side. The suction starts automatically that way.
I was pleasantly surprised to note that you only have to do that once... even shutting down the sump return during a water change didn't break enough of the suction and when you turn the water pump back on, the overflow suction starts up again on it's own.

C

calvertbill

This thread addresses something I'd relegated to "I'll cross that bridge when I come to it". One side of the u-tube (made of 1" PVC) is only the 18" submerged in the 55 gal. refugium tank. The other end is a 10' drop to my chiller and UV tubes...sounds like quite a bit of sucking!
At least I put a union near the top of the u-tube so I can pump water into the down side.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by Kynekke
Option #2... fill the tube with water and seal both ends with saran wrap, holding it shut with your hands. Turn the tube over, holding tightly so the saran wrap holds in the water. Once the U Tube is seated in the overflow, pull both ends of the saran wrap off, pulling the sump side .000001 second faster than the tank side. The suction starts automatically that way.
I was pleasantly surprised to note that you only have to do that once... even shutting down the sump return during a water change didn't break enough of the suction and when you turn the water pump back on, the overflow suction starts up again on it's own.

That's how I use to do it....