UGF water changes

ll206

I Know!!!!I Know!!! I should get rid of it. But I can't afford it, and I only have about 4 inches of fish in a 45g FO tank, so maybe I'll survive. So, how should I change the water in the tank. I know I have to clean the gravel really good. And how often should I do it? I need all the help I can get.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Probably the best thing would be to change out 10% weekly with vaccum at the same time. If you're lazy about it, then 25% monthly, also vaccum at same time. You use a syphoning gravel cleaner to accomplish this. Move as much of your decor around so you can get the substrate under the decor when vaccuming.

LL - Our tank is 5 months old, UGF (which I want to take out but that has to wait) and we change 10 - 20% each week, vaccuum while we do it.

krazzydart

You know if you put on a powerhead for a reverse flow the UGF would actually work better with less cleanings needed.... just have a emperior filter catching the bulk of the fish waste.... :) it works for me in my fish only and I do water changes every other month,,,,,,

darren111

LL do a 10 to 20% wqter change evey 2 weeks and vacum the sand but if you can get rid of the ugl and go for a better filtration system UGF's are realy no good for saltwater fish keeping anymore there asre to many dead spots using these filters.