Ugh, all fish died

89-lx

Well I've had my tank [Oceanic Biocube 29 gallon] for about 3 months now. Ammonia, nitrite are 0, pH is 8.2, but I have been battleing a nitrate level of 20 ppm since I've had the tank. I went away for weekend before without issues, but this last time, I come home to dead fish. I had 2 clowns and 2 chromis in there, along with a black sea cucumber and a bunch of snails. The snails are doing fine, and I can't tell if the cucumber is fine or not (only moves a little bit each day). I have the bioballs still, along with a protein skimmer (oceanic), and fibre floss used to filter out junk before it falls into the bio balls.
Does anyone have any oddball ideas on what may have happened? I am really pist right now, and I a not going to give up, but I am really unsure of what to do. I have heard of ditching the bio balls, but I dunno what to do for back there to dampen the waterfall sound. I also dont wanna mod this at all either. So I am looking for suggestions for round 2.

redsea

Originally Posted by 89-LX
http:///forum/post/2959798
Well I've had my tank [Oceanic Biocube 29 gallon] for about 3 months now. Ammonia, nitrite are 0, pH is 8.2, but I have been battleing a nitrate level of 20 ppm since I've had the tank. I went away for weekend before without issues, but this last time, I come home to dead fish. I had 2 clowns and 2 chromis in there, along with a black sea cucumber and a bunch of snails. The snails are doing fine, and I can't tell if the cucumber is fine or not (only moves a little bit each day). I have the bioballs still, along with a protein skimmer (oceanic), and fibre floss used to filter out junk before it falls into the bio balls.
Does anyone have any oddball ideas on what may have happened? I am really pist right now, and I a not going to give up, but I am really unsure of what to do. I have heard of ditching the bio balls, but I dunno what to do for back there to dampen the waterfall sound. I also dont wanna mod this at all either. So I am looking for suggestions for round 2.
im sorry your fish died

89-lx

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/2959868
then um idk what to say what it could be. you wont buy a small submersible light?
I guess that would be fine then. From what I read, people had to cut it all up to get a light for it. Now would I be better off with what you did, or buy the Sapphire Aquatics protein skimmer that fits in the 2nd chamber?

nissan577

do what i did man. your trates will go down. just put a net so that the chaeto dont go to the return pump and place the submersible light on top and your done!

89-lx

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/2959891
do what i did man. your trates will go down. just put a net so that the chaeto dont go to the return pump and place the submersible light on top and your done!
-You still using the tray on top of the 2nd chamber?
-What kind of cup did you use?
-Where did you get your light at?
-Does it have the waterfall sound with just that back there?
I am just so confused as to what happened, and why I can only find 2 of the 4 fish. I wonder if the cucumber freaked out for no reason and squirted its toxic insides out which caused this. But I've been away other weekends before with no issues.
Another thing about the light, what kind? Like these:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754898
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754527
Btw, with the 2 dead fish that I could find in there, the nitrates were still at 20, with the ammonia and nitrites both at 0.

nissan577

Originally Posted by 89-LX
http:///forum/post/2959896
-You still using the tray on top of the 2nd chamber?nope
-What kind of cup did you use?anycup really. but you dont need a cup. you can place a net or leave the plastic one that goes in the bottom and just add the light.
-Where did you get your light at?i got my at my lfs. but if you want a submersible light ask nano-newbie1983 he knows!
-Does it have the waterfall sound with just that back there?for me no. but when the water gets low it makes it
answer in red

zoie2

hmmm...I'm not so sure I would do the cup thing. Not that it's a bad idea, it's kinda cool, but it seems like a lot of work that doesn't need to be done.
When my tank crashed a few years ago I had the same problem. Amonia and nitrites were 0 and nitrates 20. That's when I started running carbon and purigen.
I placed a bag of carbon on top of my sponge and the bag of purigen on top of that. In a couple days and a few water changes all were at 0 again.
I haven't had any problems since. I would try carbon and purigen first.

nissan577

you dont need to have the cup. you can have the bottom black tray and have the chaeto with that. and thats it. and you add chemipure elite and purigen and your good

did u do water changes and if u did water changes where did u get ur water and does the LFS sale sea water or do they mix their own? or did u mix ur own water? how often did u do water changes? and for ur bio balls in the back did u leave them? i removed mine bio balls become a nitrate factory after a while. thats why i put crushed liverock rubble

nissan577

Originally Posted by fishstick4sale
http:///forum/post/2960111
did u do water changes and if u did water changes where did u get ur water and does the LFS sale sea water or do they mix their own?some lfs mix there own. others get pure seawater. or did u mix ur own water? i mix my own from time to timehow often did u do water changes?once every week to 2 weeks and for ur bio balls in the back did u leave them?nope took them off and put chaeto with mangrove there. i removed mine bio balls become a nitrate factory after a while. thats why i put crushed liverock rubblelive rock rubble is also a trates factory. it collects detritus which when mix or moved becomes trates!
answer in red! lol today is red day for me
maybe that wasnt for me but thats what i do and have

i disagree i had more problems with bioball than rubble in the back chanmbers, when i do water changes i pour it in the back chambers and the water pouring in miixes up the garbage in the back chambers an it cleans it, also snails get into the back chambers and eat all that stuff up. they cant go far with bioballs. so ha

nissan577

yea but still it will still colect within the rocks! so haha!
ok the snails will eat the ones in the floor but who will clean the ones deep in the rocks holes?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! got you back! and then what happens if its not clean? chaeto is the way to go
in your face!

how often did u feed? u dont need a skimmer for a 30gallon at all, im way over stock i have 6 fishes each 1.5 inches long and plan on adding another and i still get low readings on nitrates right befor a water change and after im back to .0 how many gallons did u change out? and when u mixed ur own did u use R/O water. and how many pounds of LR do u have

VERY IMPORTANT... if u dont like the sound of that water falling... fill it up with more SALTWATER mine is filled up to the top ignore that stinking full line just fill up. that noise is annoying nothing is affected by adding more SW to the tank just fill it up to the top keep it about 1 inch from the top chambers and ur good that noise is annoying. also its wise to put a lil baby pump in the back to oxygenate the tank because when u fill it up with saltwater u dont have those bubbles from the pouring water anymore to oxygenate the tank. i did and i can sleep at night without that annoying noise now

nissan577

i dont feed the tank. i let it be as natural as possible and im happy with the results!
and i use RO water to mix my salt. and idk how many pounds i got. lol i dont keep count. and you are way over your limit. and just because you show no readings in ammonia or trates doesnt mean your fish are happy. fish need space to swim. so you can have 7 fish in there and show no sign at all but the fish will end up dead from being stree and being cramp together. and i do 5g of water change. so dont just think about the readings but about your fish. would you like to be in a 5x5 foot room with 10 people. no right. thats how the fish feel. im sorry for being like this. not trying to be rude but fish are like humans and should be treated the same way.

nissan577

http:///forum/post/2960129
how often did u feed? u dont need a skimmer for a 30gallon at all, im way over stock i have 6 fishes each 1.5 inches long and plan on adding another and i still get low readings on nitrates right befor a water change and after im back to .0 how many gallons did u change out? and when u mixed ur own did u use R/O water. and how many pounds of LR do u have
i dont feed the tank. i let it be as natural as possible and im happy with the results!
and i use RO water to mix my salt. and idk how many pounds i got. lol i dont keep count. and you are way over your limit. and just because you show no readings in ammonia or trates doesnt mean your fish are happy. fish need space to swim. so you can have 7 fish in there and show no sign at all but the fish will end up dead from being stree and being cramp together. and i do 5g of water change. so dont just think about the readings but about your fish. would you like to be in a 5x5 foot room with 10 people. no right. thats how the fish feel. im sorry for being like this. not trying to be rude but fish are like humans and should be treated the same way.

nissan577

http:///forum/post/2960137
VERY IMPORTANT... if u dont like the sound of that water falling... fill it up with more SALTWATER mine is filled up to the top ignore that stinking full line just fill up. that noise is annoying nothing is affected by adding more SW to the tank just fill it up to the top keep it about 1 inch from the top chambers and ur good that noise is annoying. also its wise to put a lil baby pump in the back to oxygenate the tank because then u fill it up with saltwater u dont have those bubbles from the pouring water anymore to oxygenate the tank. i did and i can sleep at night without that annoying noise
+1