uh oh..

iamcrazy

my tanks broken out in some nasty hair algae. so far in it i have a really fat LMB, 5 scarlet hermit crabs, 5 blue legs, 1 emerald crab, 3 green chromis, 1 true perc, and a cleaner shrimp. i just bought an ro unit so i can have water that wont promote algae growth, and i cut back on light hours any other ideas? and my LMB eats so much that he poops everywhere. any ideas as for a better clean up crew??:help:

organism

astrea snails, and also turbo snails, although turbo snails'll move your rockwork a bit if it's not epoxied down
also, it'll take a bit for that ro unit to fully take effect, since you've been using tap water the extra nutrients'll be in there for a bit longer

iamcrazy

its a 55g tank. my nitrates are around 7 :eek: and i dont have anything to test phosphates but im running some phoguard. im about to do a 50% Water change and literally take out eack piece of rock and scrub off the algae. my nitrates are so high because my clean up crew well...isnt cleaning wat else can i add?! i heard conchs help..right? help! sos! man down! crash and burn!! ahh:help:

sonewfish

I had a huge hair algae issue with my 55 gallon tank. I went over kill and bought a 75 gallon clean up crew. 40-60 hermits, 40-60 snail astrea & margarita, 2 emerald crabs, 1 cleaner shrimp, and the best fish in the world for cleaning sand: Gold head sleeper gobie. Needless to say I have completly obliterated my algae problem and am still able to maintain a healthy system with excess lr and ls.

jacknjill

7 nitrates or nitrites? if nitrates that is really good as mine are stuck at about 50. if nitrites, you need to get that down