Uh-oh !!!

guitartech

OK, I asked if the Koralia 3's would be enough flow in my 100g. (one at each end...)
Well, I put them in and they are really making it fun for my fish, but I noticed that they disturbed my sand bed in a couple of places. I adjusted them as soon as I noticed, but now my water is a little cloudy.
Is it possible that this may cause the tank to re-cycle? Will this small amount of bacteria totally throw off everything I've done so far???

HELP !!!

sickboy

It shouldn't matter if you have enough filtration. I stir up my sand often (not on purpose) and it doesn't change anything and my tank is way smaller than yours. If you have a deep sand bed, you may release some gas into your tank, and that could cause a problem, but I don't know that much about DSB's.

guitartech

I don't have a deep sand bed, just about 1 1/2 - 2 inches. My flow goes : Overflow sponge > carbon > filter floss > bio balls > blue filter sponge > black coarse filter sponge (on intake of 9.5...) > return to tank.
Everything from carbon to 9.5 is housed in a Sealife Systems 125.
Does this make sense? I'm just trying to do this the right way this time...

spanko

Looks good. Just keep all that sponge floss cleaned each week with water changes. Also do some of the bio balls each week. Not all at once. Take the water you remove from the tank for you water change and use it to swish the bio balls around in. What you want to do is get all the loose detritus on them rinsed off.

armlocker

I just ordered two K-3's myself THIS MORNING for my 4' tank, after reading several threads about which size should go with which tank... Can your problem be corrected by aiming them elsewhere or is that too much flow for that size tank?

mr_x

i think 3 k3's aren't enough for a 100 gallon tank. the sand will settle, and your tank will be fine. i would go with atlleast 2 k4's.

guitartech

Originally Posted by Armlocker
http:///forum/post/2722345
I just ordered two K-3's myself THIS MORNING for my 4' tank, after reading several threads about which size should go with which tank... Can your problem be corrected by aiming them elsewhere or is that too much flow for that size tank?
I adjusted their direction and it seems to be fine now... rinsed my carbon and sponges and it is clearing up...
I was hoping this was enough flow, because my clowns look like they are having a lot of fun.
My feather dusters (decorative worm rock) may feel a little differently, though