Um, what is the white flakey residue?

rainmkr07

I just filled my new 75 gallon tank with home made salt water, from my tap as a source (4 days ago), I added decholorinator to it and of course instant ocean salt (my salinity reading is good). However, some sort of white residue formed on the inner sides of the tank. I scrubbed it off, and it sort of turns into small flakes and either settled on the sand bottom, or came back 2 days later, forming a white residue on the sides of the tank again. I just scrubbed it off again, but see that flakes of this white substance lay on the sand bottom, and while the water is cloudy again now, I don't doubt it will cover the sides again in a day or two. What is this and how do I get it to go away?

lovecraft

I'm new too, but the only white flaky stuff I see is on the OUTside of the glass and it's salt from when I spill water. Something to do with salt maybe? How long before you added salt to the water and then put it in your tank? Alot of people recommend waiting at least 24(some much longer) hours making your salt water before adding.
Either that or somthing in your tapwater maybe? Be warned, alot of people are gonna say not to use tap water, even with chemicals. Unless you know exactly what's in it that is and have used it for a long time with no effects.
Somebody with more experience should be along soon.

rainmkr07

It could be something in the tap water perhaps... I didn't know we were supposed to let the salt water sit for 24 hours before adding it... I mixed it in 7 gallon jugs (shook it with my arms) and then poured it in right away...

srfisher17

I assume the stuff is on the INSIDE?Is this possibly undissolved salt? Salt that has been exposed to moisture can be quite hard to dissolve.If you're brave, taste one of the little flakes; if not, have a neighborhood kid do it. If it is salt, it will dissolve in time, the more circulation you have-the better. This is really a stab in the dark to eliminate the obvious-2 days seems like plenty of time for this to clear.

lovecraft

Originally Posted by rainmkr07
It could be something in the tap water perhaps... I didn't know we were supposed to let the salt water sit for 24 hours before adding it... I mixed it in 7 gallon jugs (shook it with my arms) and then poured it in right away...
Could be the salt, like the other guy said, taste it
. There's a thread in the beginner sticky about mixing water. From talking with people and research, I make up my water a few days before I need it with a powerhead and heater if necessary. Are you just getting started on your cycle?

rainmkr07

Yes, it's on the inside. Another thread I found led me to believe it might be lime from our hard water from the tap, and it is best removed with vinegar. Whether it's lime or undissolved salt, will this eventually go away on it's own, with just my Emperor 400? Or with an established tank (post cycle)? Or will I need to wipe this substance off the sides every few days forever?

As for my cycle - I have live rock on the way, it should be here Monday or Tuesday, but I am afraid to put it into the tank with this white stuff...(let alone any fish or corals post cycle!)

lovecraft

Yes, it's on the inside. Another thread I found led me to believe it might be lime from our hard water from the tap, and it is best removed with vinegar. Whether it's lime or undissolved salt, will this eventually go away on it's own, with just my Emperor 400? Or with an established tank (post cycle)? Or will I need to wipe this substance off the sides every few days forever?

As for my cycle - I have live rock on the way, it should be here Monday or Tuesday, but I am afraid to put it into the tank with this white stuff...(let alone any fish or corals post cycle!)
You could always wait it out, and if it's salt it should dissolve in time.
You could, and this is just a suggestions mind you, go pick up some RO water from a LFS and make new water. Drain the water you have in there cause there is no telling what is in most people's tapwater without some hassle. Let it marinate with a PH till your rock goes in. It should eliminate that possibility of undisolved salt and using the RO water would eliminate the possibilty of something in your tap water.
I buy my RO from my LFS for .50 a gal. But it can be found cheaper at wal-marts, water refillers etc. Just make sure it's RO water. They make premade saltwater too but that's real expensive for a cycle and I recommend not doing that unless you have to or cash is no object. I got talked into doing that by the LFS I don't shop at anymore.

Some point soon I'm looking into buying a RO unit from Home Depot. I've seen them for like $150 and have read that they work for saltwater making just fine. And I will feel better about our drinking water. Hope my limited experience helps.

rainmkr07

Your help is very much appreciated! I hope it goes away on its own though. Emptying the tank and transporting 75 gallons of RO from my LFS would be a pain... If it does go away though, I wonder if 10% weekly changes from my tap would readd the lime/undissolved salt everytime, or if a small amount in an established system wouldn't show up...

mcbdz

I know this sounds like a big pain in the butt,
but I would dump the tap and use ro/di.
Some tap has nitrates and metals in it and can cause all types of issues. The most common being algea problems. Walmart sells the refils for .33/gal. You may just be better off getting a filter for your house. It will pay for it's self in the long run and you won't have to lugg the water home.
Good Luck

lovecraft

Your help is very much appreciated! I hope it goes away on its own though. Emptying the tank and transporting 75 gallons of RO from my LFS would be a pain... If it does go away though, I wonder if 10% weekly changes from my tap would readd the lime/undissolved salt everytime, or if a small amount in an established system wouldn't show up...

It WOULD be a pain, trust me I know.
I lugged 50gal when I started, luckily I borrowed a relative's truck to do it. I lug about 5-10 gals a week now but I'm in the fish store anyway looking at stuff or asking questions. I've even become buddies with other people that buy their R/O water and swap advice and ideas. So it hasn't become a hassle too much....yet.
That's when I'll buy the R/O unit.
But I also know that many people have had HUGE algae blooms and other more serious problems by using tapwater. You're never going to know exactly what's in it that can cause problems. In my case I wanted start off with water that I know is clean and avoid many problems that can crop up down the road. It's what I picked up from here before I got started on my tank. Water quality is a must depending on what you want to keep and more importantly, how long you want to keep it. I just couldn't stand it to lose a $50 fish or coral and not knowing if what's in my tapwater did it.
JMHO

puffer32

Since you are waiting for LR to come anyway, get a RO/DI filter while you are waiting, and by the time you get it, you can have 75 gal of water made and waiting. Its just so much smarter to do it right from the begininng.

rainmkr07

My LFS has a bottle of chemical that removes chlorine, chlorinate, and other metals from tap water, making it safe for fish. Could I use this in my tap water, then mix the salt in, then use it in the tank?

alane67

I use to live in a city that HARD lime water. We always had a build up of it on several water outlets we would have to clean periodicaly...shower heads, faucets.... Now, cleaning those was no big deal, but if I had been into SW then, I would definately not use it. I am new too, but have come to learn, they are not forgiving if the water isn't right. There are some very hardy fish that might would live in, but why???
I feel pretty sure you are dealing with lime. Buy the salt water form the LFS while your tank is cycling. It will give you the time to buy an RO system.
I had to wait a while to buy mine. I am disabled so saved for it. Best therapy for me in the world for me, is to watch my fish and listen to water flow.
Still new, still working on how to keep parameters right, but it sure makes things easier for me, walking to my sink and drawing up a bit of RO and miixing it. I bought mine from Lowes, I am sure any large box store like those has one. I did have a bugga of a time installing it, but I love it! I paid about $200.00

kwiknezy1

Originally Posted by srfisher17
If you're brave, taste one of the little flakes; if not, have a neighborhood kid do it. .
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....LOL LOL LOL
You gotta laugh at this one....

earlybird

My LFS has a bottle of chemical that removes chlorine, chlorinate, and other metals from tap water, making it safe for fish. Could I use this in my tap water, then mix the salt in, then use it in the tank?
Amquel and Stress Coat and other products like this are great for emergency. However, ther are posts after posts of people fighting nusiance algae due to tap water. You are still introducing phosphates and nitrates via treated tap water in most cases not to mention the dissolved solids that all play a role in algae blooms. Test your water for phosphates and nitrates. Phosphates and nitrates in the water source should be zero. Total dissolved solids should also be at or near zero but you'd have to get a tds meter to test for that.
As for the residue, how do you make your water? Do you have a heater and a powerhead mixing your saltwater?

jessica47421

i started with tap water in the beginning but now when i do water changes i use r/o. luckly i had no problems with algea but i as well think it would be better to do it right in the beginning using r/o water

rainmkr07

First off, thank you all for your replies.
I have decided to take your advice and empty the tank, and refill it with RO water, so thank you. I had one question. I put 60lbs of dry sand in already, and 20lbs of live sand. Once I drain the tank, what should I do with the sand? Should I leave it in there and just add the RO salt water mix, or should I pull the sand out, put it into a new rubbermaid bucket, add RO salt water there, and let it sit? (Is there a way to clean the tap water out of it?) I don't want the live sand to die, and I also want to be sure I have all the tap water out of the system before I refill it with the RO? Thank you again!!

lovecraft

Just drain it as much as you can, the LS should be fine as long as it's damp. Don't worry about getting every last drop. Mix your water seperately and let it sit as long as you can. A PH will mix your water better than you can stirring. Getting your SG the way you want it is the important thing.
When your rock comes you're not going to want a bunch of water in there anyway. Place your rock the way you like it and then fill it up. Your LR is going to cause a cycle from the die off in transport regardless. So don't worry about adding something to start it unless you don't get an ammonia spike for some reason. Once you've placed your rock and filled the tank, crank up your equipment/heater and PH's and that will keep the water stirring.
One thing I wish I knew about when starting is to do a small water change during your cycle if ammonia goes way above .5. Really high ammonia kills off beneficial hitchikers that might come on your rock. Also, leave your lights off during the cycle and it will minimize algae blooms. Your gonna get some algae, it's normal, but by using RO water you've got the best chance of not letting it get out hand. Ripping nuisance hair algae off your rocks is something I haven't had to do and would not look forward to.
Once your ammonia and nitrites drop to 0, your cycle is finished and then do a largish water change. Add some fish food, called "ghost feeding" and test to see if you get an ammonia spike, if you don't then you're cycle is definitely over.
THEN start on your cleanup crew, and embarking on your new addiction.
Hope it helps.