Unbelievable! Must Read

travisa

This is my first post on here, but i have been reading them and learning from this site for a while. For my first post ever, this is a good one. I have a Cup Mushroom in my tank that i have had for over a year now and he is fairly large in size, which is shown in the old pic below. He has eatin fish before and i expected this of him, mostly Clowns b/c the rub in him. Well last week, he ate my Hawkfish, which sucked, but tonight, the Cup Mushroom picked off my Volitan Lionfish, which i have had for a couple of months! See the pics below. There is a pic of the Cup, the cup closed up on the Lion, and some pics of the cup opening up 3 hours later and you can see the Lions spikes inside of him.
Anyone else ever experienced such a mean Cup?

dragonboy

Thats what I'm wondering why didn't you stop him? The lionfish was much more valuble than cup coral.

travisa

By the time i got wind of what was going on, it was too late. I was in classes for the most part of the day/night. My roommate noticed that the cup had grabbed him about an hour or so before i got home, but he doesn't know anything about the aquarium and had no clue what to do about it.

travisa

Plus, i have had the Cup for so long that i really like it and it looks good in the aquarium, but he is definately becoming a nuisance!

ohioguy06

Originally Posted by travisa
Plus, i have had the Cup for so long that i really like it and it looks good in the aquarium, but he is definately becoming a nuisance!
I would say so...........I would of been ticked beyond belief how big was ur lion

travisa

Originally Posted by Ohioguy06
I would say so...........I would of been ticked beyond belief how big was ur lion
his body size was probably about 4-5 inches long. So with the spikes and all, he wasn't a little fellow.

ohioguy06

his body size was probably about 4-5 inches long. So with the spikes and all, he wasn't a little fellow.
Very interesting though.........even tho lions are venomous is the shroom gonna die?

travisa

Very interesting though.........even tho lions are venomous is the shroom gonna die?
hmm...........I am still waiting to see myself. After the cup eats a fish or something, he usually spits out what he doesn't digest within a small amount of time. It has been about 5 hours now and i am curious to see if he spits this guy out or not with all the spikes and what not. As far as the venom? I have no clue, but i am curious to see myself. My "fish guy" back home doesn't know either. He said to just keep an eye on things and see what happens.

ohioguy06

hmm...........I am still waiting to see myself. After the cup eats a fish or something, he usually spits out what he doesn't digest within a small amount of time. It has been about 5 hours now and i am curious to see if he spits this guy out or not with all the spikes and what not. As far as the venom? I have no clue, but i am curious to see myself. My "fish guy" back home doesn't know either. He said to just keep an eye on things and see what happens.
Well keep us posted do you have any other tank pics?

travisa

Well keep us posted do you have any other tank pics?
Yeh, i am gonna get some tank pics up soon. I have a crappy digital camera right now, but i will be fixing that problem soon so that i can get some pics up of the tank, so keep an eye out for those within the next couple of days, and i will keep this forum informed on whether or not the Cup makes it.

travisa

why didnt you save him! and kill the shroom!
Also to clarify not saving the Lion. I just talked to my "fish guy" back home, and he told me that within a few minutes of the Cup grabbing the Lion, the fight was already over. The Cup immediately begins to shoot the fish with toxins and the survival rate is minimum for the fish. He described it as a human getting shot with 50 tazer guns at once. I figured that this was the case, so that is why i let nature take its course.
But the good news is that it appears the Cup is fine and he spit out the rest of the Lion, or maybe that is bad news ;)

bergamer

is this a coral or an anemone?
if it is a coral,is it a leather?
can you give me the latin name so I can do some research? or other common names besides cup coral?

dragonboy

Well if you already have known it was fish eatting coral why did you keep adding more fish? Cause your sure giving him some expensive meals when you can just feed it shrimps. My cousin had one of those and as soon as he notice it was eatting fish he took out right away. If you gonna keep it put it in a non fish tank plus those sucker get pretty big.

ninjamini

But the good news is that it appears the Cup is fine and he spit out the rest of the Lion, or maybe that is bad news ;)

Lets see it! How much does a cup mushroom eat?

jdreef

the same thing happened to me but with a clown fish, the only way to stop that is buy an anemone when it comes to clowns but for other fish... pray
(13 in wide) very big
jorge

travisa

Originally Posted by bergamer
is this a coral or an anemone?
if it is a coral,is it a leather?
can you give me the latin name so I can do some research? or other common names besides cup coral?
Giant Cup Mushroom or Elephant Ear Mushroom.
It is in the Anemone family being a Cnidarian, aka it is a stinging coral that has stinging cells that can nuke a fish.
I believe the Latin name is: Amplexidiscus
. We think that is it, but not 100% sure.

travisa

Originally Posted by dragonboy
Well if you already have known it was fish eatting coral why did you keep adding more fish? Cause your sure giving him some expensive meals when you can just feed it shrimps. My cousin had one of those and as soon as he notice it was eatting fish he took out right away. If you gonna keep it put it in a non fish tank plus those sucker get pretty big.
Well he only eats the dumb fish that go and sit on him to take a break. The fish know to stay away from the Anemone, why not the Cup.

travisa

Originally Posted by JDReef
the same thing happened to me but with a clown fish, the only way to stop that is buy an anemone when it comes to clowns but for other fish... pray
(13 in wide) very big
jorge
What's up JDReef. So you have a cup yourself? If so, how long have u had it, and it is 13 inches?

jdreef

What's up JDReef. So you have a cup yourself? If so, how long have u had it, and it is 13 inches?
well i have had the cup for a year now and yea its 13in
jorge