Unbelievable! Must Read

waterpolo

Wow this is a very interesting thread to read.I can't believe something like this exists. I know about all the mean anemones and the Crown Of Thorns but this is crazy. I felt so bad for th lion. WOW.
But I guess it is a very small "tank" after all. You know like "Its a small world after all" song. Lol. But anyways why didn't the lion sence the cup wrapping itself around it? How fast does the cup take fish?

travisa

Originally Posted by waterpolo
Wow this is a very interesting thread to read.I can't believe something like this exists. I know about all the mean anemones and the Crown Of Thorns but this is crazy. I felt so bad for th lion. WOW.
But I guess it is a very small "tank" after all. You know like "Its a small world after all" song. Lol. But anyways why didn't the lion sence the cup wrapping itself around it? How fast does the cup take fish?
The wrapping isn't the problem. The cup mushroom sends out a violent stinging, so he immobilizes the fish from moving away. According to my sources, the Cup sends out this violent shock and the fish can move, and he then begins to close up around him. After closing up on him he then begins to send out the toxins that finishes the fish off. After the initial shock, it is too late. That itself is too much for the fish to recover from supposedly. My guy said it is like a human being shot with 50 tazers at once. I have tried to hand feed the cup before and he is way slow, but i believe i am gonna have to start trying harder.

travisa

Originally Posted by Ohioguy06
how is the cup doing today
Well the Cup is fine and bigger than ever.

waterpolo

Originally Posted by travisa
The wrapping isn't the problem. The cup mushroom sends out a violent stinging, so he immobilizes the fish from moving away. According to my sources, the Cup sends out this violent shock and the fish can move, and he then begins to close up around him. After closing up on him he then begins to send out the toxins that finishes the fish off. After the initial shock, it is too late. That itself is too much for the fish to recover from supposedly. My guy said it is like a human being shot with 50 tazers at once. I have tried to hand feed the cup before and he is way slow, but i believe i am gonna have to start trying harder.

What do you mean the cup is to slow when trying to hand feed?

socal57che

If you're supposed to remove a dead lion quickly so it doesn't introduce toxins to your water...........then wouldn't the same thing apply if the lion was eaten by something in your tank then spat back out, or would the coral or anemone absorb the toxins? If you have other livestock you might consider this. I don't know much about them, nor have I ever had a lion, but from what I've read this seems logical. :thinking:

promisetbg

They actually put out a substance which lures the fish to them.They get gigantic too. There is one at an LFS nearby that ate an 8 YO clown. I kept one before I knew all this about them..it was one of my first corals. Luckily for my fish..it did'nt make it. All shrooms are more closely related to anemones...some refer to them as false corals. There is a ricordia which gets bigger than most...they call it gigantea. We had one at the shop that ate three small cleaner shrimp!

travisa

Originally Posted by waterpolo
What do you mean the cup is to slow when trying to hand feed?
He is really slow to wrap around what you try to hand feed him.

travisa

Originally Posted by socal57che
If you're supposed to remove a dead lion quickly so it doesn't introduce toxins to your water...........then wouldn't the same thing apply if the lion was eaten by something in your tank then spat back out, or would the coral or anemone absorb the toxins? If you have other livestock you might consider this. I don't know much about them, nor have I ever had a lion, but from what I've read this seems logical. :thinking:
Oh yeh, i kept a watch on the tank and removed the Lion's body as soon as the cup spit him out.

talath

You've got some nice Marlin Perkins going on in your aquarium. That's a pretty impressive rate of digestion!