Unbelievable Store near Chicago

polarpooch

I drove to Park Ridge, IL this weekend to check out "Living Sea". 7000 gallons of SW fish! The fish are way overpriced, but some of them are breathtaking! Some are very unusual, too.
They have a shark lagoon with 5 black tips swimming around, and a bat ray lagoon with 2 bat rays. Their largest angel was probably the size of a loaf of bread. Giant triggers, puffers, tangs and lots others. Worth the trip to say the least!
Am taking a tour about the midwest this summer...anyone know of any other super-fish stores like this? This was the coolest fish store I have ever been in.

demosthenes

Yeah, I've heard about it, but haven't had a chance to visit. I take it your planning on going to, or going back to, Shedd Aquarium then?

topfish2

Yes, Living Sea is very cool. I agree that they are highly overpriced. 250 dollars for a blueline trigger, WOW. i got mine for 60. But they have a lot of rare fish and almost all of em are in good condition. A great store I like better than Living Sea is Barrier Reef. It is cheaper there fis hare in better condition. They may not have as much of a selection, but they have a lot of sw fish and corals, inverts, etc. The owner, Mike, is an awesome guy, very cool, and very nice, gives you the right info, etc.

harrysreef

Living Sea is an excellent shop with knowledgeable help. Prices are high there. Beyond the Reef in Schaumburg is also a nice shop with better prices. They seem about average for the area.
Top Fish2 where is Barrier Reef.

polarpooch

Demosthenes--have been to Shedd many times! I wish Madison would invest in an aquarium like that and save me the 2 1/2 hour drive!
TopfisH2--where is Barrier Reef??? Is it near Chicago?
Harrysreef--I just got back from one of the better LFS in town and was told Beyond the Reef is a very good shop. The LFS guy also told me about one called "Old Chicago Aquarium". It's apparently where Michael Jordan gets his fish, which makes me think it might have some nice stuff!
As for the Living Sea prices--holy cats, you're not kidding! But the place is definately worth going to. I wish I would have known about the others ahead of time. Next time I'll make a day of it!

harrysreef

Your lfs guy might have meant "Old Town Aquaruim" in Chicago. It is also an excellent shop but prices are like LivingSeas. OTA has been around a long time and has several famous customers.

diceman

Topfish2: I have been at both places and I have been dealing with Mike from Barrier Reef for some time. Very smart guy who really knows his stuff and will only sell you what you need. Nice to see someone who will not rip you off. The prices for his fish are fair at best but they are really healthy. Watch him feed a tank and man those fish EAT! If you go there often enough he will give you better prices than posted. Barrier Reef is located on the south side of Chicago on Archer Ave. Not as big as Living Seas but not as pricey either.

polarpooch

Yes, I think Old Town is correct. The LFS guy and I are from Wisconsin, so understand the size of the learning curve...heehe.
Actually, I grew up in Rockford, so mine should be even wider.
Have noted all the stores and will be hitting the Chicago area again, this time with a better plan and a good map.
Thanks!

jor8888

check out Scott's Pet Shop 3054 S Wolf Rd, Westchester, IL
and Sho Tank 545 N. Lake St, Mundelein, IL. Both are my favorite right now with reasonable price.

sterling

I drove an hour and a half to go to Barrier Reef after reading these posts. I couldn't believe their prices!! Way out there!! So expensive! They're fish tanks were so overstocked with large fish. They're coral tanks had alot of unhealthy looking corals. I was disappointed to say the least.

wetpetman

I'm driving throught Chicago on my way up to Green Bay. Where is the Barrier Reef I want to stop. Anybody else have any good saltwater fish stores that I can stop by on the way?