Undecided about lighting

shlovell16

I still can't figure out what lighting i should get. I want to set up a 29 Gallon Rectangle reef tank. I would like to be able to house different types of corals without spending an arm and a leg for lighting. I don't completely understand the different types of lighting and what is good for what. For example, I would like to be able to grow hard and soft corals and possibly anenome. However, I read that to house anenome you will need MH lights. Now I don't know what type of MH light I would need for a 29 G tank, but I looked at some MH light prices online and they are like $300 and up? So if it costs a matter of $100-200 dollars more for the MH lights JUST to house anenome I won't get the MH lights. I guess what it all comes down to is what is the best lighting to house the corals and what not, that does not exceed 200 dollars? Also are the T5's any good? Jeez I'm lost, sorry.
But if anyone can shout out idea's or types of lighting in lamer terms (I'm VERY new to this) and tell what they will help grow, and how much the price range of them is. it would be GREATLY appreciated.

saltfan

29 gallon isn't really deep enough to warrant just MH lights, don't worry yourself to much on that part. You could use T-5 and house anything you wanted, provided you use 4 54watt lamps. On the other hand you could go VHO and use 3 lamps and be ok also. Choice at this point is yours to make.

shlovell16

Thanks for the reply man. Well, I would want to be able to house almost anything I want, but i want to do it in the cheapest way (I know I know, you get what you pay for). I'm reading all kinds of things about MH being the best source for ANY coral/anenomes. But, then i look at the prices and if im understanding this right what i would need in MH would be 300-400 dollars? Ouch. However, If i did go the cheaper way with the other types of lighting, I wouldn't want it to hurt me more in the long run (By corals and anenomes dieing due to insufficient light source).

wattsupdoc

Not sure what you're dimensions are on 29 you're talking about. But 4 54 watts I dont think will fit on that. the 54 watters are 48 in. long roughly.Also that puts around 7.5 watts per gallon if we wanna see it that way on this. 24 watt T5ho's would give you right at 5 watts. Where mine are right now. Or if it's 36in long then 4 39 watters would work. If you go with the t's then reflectors play a role. Individual reflectors are supposed to be the best, but mine has a single parabolic reflector and So far seems to be fine. I'm a newbee though and only have a few corals right now with VERY little experience in reefing. Or with other types of reef lighting. VHO's are a fine selection also with proven results, from what I understand.
JMO
Charlie