under skimming???

hello i have a 260 gallon reef and i need a new skimmer would a skimmer rated up to 200 gallon work ok or not at all??
might be buying tonight all info is appreciated!
thanks Jake!

lil.guppy

my skimmer was rated for 90 gallons and I had it on a 46 gallon reef. I changed it out with a skimmer that rates for 225g and it works so much better. My other skimmer always needed to be changed out and seemed to fall behind. This larger one keeps up
I honestly would get something that is either the same rate as your gallons or something even larger. It also depends on what is in your tank. How much fish you have and coral. You can over skim and take away stuff for your coral but not with a skimmer that low.

bulldog123

You can have to much of a skimmer as well as to little of a skimmer. I would not rush and buy one before you do your research. It is not going to be cheap for a tank that size.

nigerbang

My MR2 is rated at about 300 gallons of heavy bio load with 1 injector, add the second injector like mine and it goes up, Recirc it and it goes up to about 450 gallons of heavy bioload.. Once I add a 24" riser to the body it will be inline with about 700 gallons.. The total volume of my system is about 300 gallons or so..