Under the hood

tur4k

It sometimes amazes me how much stuff we manage to cram under our tanks. I would love to have a fish room or basement to put my sumps in, but I just stuff everything under the tank like most people. I thought it would be fun to see what people have under their tanks. I'll show you mine if you show me yours

- All Glass Aquariums brand model 3 Wet/Dry sump on the left. It houses a Precision Marine Bullet II skimmer, a Mag18 return pump, a Mag12 feeding the skimmer and a Seio 1100 GPH pump feeding the refugium.
- Custom built glass refugium in the middle. I'm using an old HOB filter chassis as a siphon break. It has a sandbed on the bottom with a layer of fist sized live rock rubble on the sand. There is a freshly pruned ball of chaetomorpha floating behind the filter chassis. It holds about 15 Gallons of water that is absolutely teaming with life. My Phosban reactor is hanging on and being fed from the refugium. Behind the Phosban reactor is a cheep Kalk reactor that never worked right. So I ripped out it's guts and just use it as a siphon break for my auto top off.
- Custom built glass top off reservoir on right side. It's the same design as the fuge without the baffles. I use a JBJ ATO unit to keep my tank topped off.

S

saxman

We have a new build going on, and we just bought a 6' x 6.5' shed to house the works:

The system will be plumbed thru the outer wall of the house (it's a 7' x 2' x 2' peninsula build).

tur4k

That's cool. I thought about plumbing through the wall behind my tank into the garage, but was worried about temperature swings. It gets really hot in my garage. I would think a shed would be even worse.

S

saxman

We have some tanx in our garage too. It's a finished garage, so it's insulated, but we did add insulation to the roll-up door. There's also a small free-standing A/C unit in the garage that's vented to the outside for any super hot days (we had it anyhow, so we put it to use).