Undergravel filter

nycbob

never heard of it in a saltwater setup. undergravel filter need to be clean every year to keep detritus buildup.

michaeltx

not a good combo both are dirty filters and cause nitrate problems so its not a good idea to use either let along in conjunction with each other.
Mike

dg

Thanks for the answer. my lfs swears by it doesnt even sell sand I will have to tavel to another store to purchase it. I am planing a 125gal. How deep should the sand be? Lot of things said about deep sand beds this tank is going to have a dog face puffer.I asked on another thread my concern is it eating my cleanup crew.Or is a cleanup crew not needed.

jonthefishguy

Undergravel filters are more of a thing of the past. They act like septic tanks taking in all the waste underneath the gravel but a huge problem unfolds when people start believing that because the water is clear it is clean. Of the many customers that I have dealt with that use undergravel, have no idea what nitrates are or cycle. I get answers well my water is crystal clear so its perfect. I tell them, your toilet water is clear too, but I don't see you drinking that and saying its perfect. Do yourself a favor a purchase a hang on filter.

mie

Use a plennum, than about two to three inches of sand. cleaner crew expensive snack,but adds some variety to your tank, IMO keep the puffer fed WELL and you wont notice that much of an impact on your crew. BTW no to the undergravel filter, very nasty

dg

Thanks for all the answers You guys helped me more in the last 10min then lfs 3moths guess set in there ways. I speced out a 90 the other day on my own how does this sound
90gal tank
hydor koralia3
caribSea aragonite
90lbs lr
mag-drivepumpmodel12
asm g2 skimmer
visi therm heater 200
Bio ball
29 gal tank I have now for sump
Also after reading more about the puffer decided 125 would be better for him.So I will make changes for that size tank just want to know if I'm on the right track.If you can't tell new to this hobbie Thanks

michaeltx

on the right track but do some more research on the bioballs I dont recomend them myself and have never used them.
I would also look into a RO/DI filter and a refractometer and a good set of test kits to keep track of your progress.
Mike

socal57che

Ask around in the aggressive fish forum about substrate requirements for the dogface. Ours caused a crash because he continuously blew up the sandbed hunting for food and we woke up one morning to a 100 gallon mud puddle and some very sick fish. If this will be a FOWLR tank I would go bare bottom after my experience. Just use rubble rock to cover the reflective bottom and still allow flow to keep crud from accumulating.

mudplayerx

Originally Posted by DG
Thanks for the answer. my lfs swears by it doesnt even sell sand I will have to tavel to another store to purchase it.
If you can't find local sand, they sell it right here on this site. You can look around on the net as well. I recommend 3-5 inches of sand.

mie

Originally Posted by socal57che
Ask around in the aggressive fish forum about substrate requirements for the dogface. Ours caused a crash because he continuously blew up the sandbed hunting for food and we woke up one morning to a 100 gallon mud puddle and some very sick fish. If this will be a FOWLR tank I would go bare bottom after my experience. Just use rubble rock to cover the reflective bottom and still allow flow to keep crud from accumulating.
My gold stripe clown stirs my sand bed up daily last week he exposed a 2 foot area of the plennum,We had no crash, i have since then placed two small flat rocks on the grond under his gbta so he would stop stiring up the sand he now is doing it on the other side of the flat rock..
i heard they do this because they are mad. but whow knows?

koolaidman

well, yeah, we have a new marine bio teacher in our school. She has good basic general knowledge of tanks, and species, and what not. However the main tank she is setting up is and ug filter+cc. I tried to tell her that this wasnt a good idea, but she is adamant that ug filters work very well and that cc clogs in it less.

michaeltx

ask her if she has internet access to come here and take alot at the board and ask about them. it will make a difference when she sees hobbiest in real life say what works and not.
there are a lot of old school ways that worked but the newer ways work much much better.
Mike

koolaidman

yeah ill try, its just she has a hard enough time listening to me. She is doing coldwater if that makes a difference. But she is still making alot of mistakes. She is trying to cycle the tanks with living crabs and snails. The other day i pointed out to her that there was a piece of metal rusting in one of the tanks. The next morning it was still there and every thing was dead. I also dont know how you can do coldwater in a 75 degree classroom w/ no chillers.

ophiura

However, live rock rubble, used instead of bioballs, will have the same pitfalls if the system is not properly maintained.

dinogeorge

Originally Posted by jonthefishguy
I get answers well my water is crystal clear so its perfect. I tell them, your toilet water is clear too, but I don't see you drinking that and saying its perfect.
This is a riot!!!!!!!

srfisher17

Originally Posted by jonthefishguy
Undergravel filters are more of a thing of the past. They act like septic tanks taking in all the waste underneath the gravel but a huge problem unfolds when people start believing that because the water is clear it is clean. Of the many customers that I have dealt with that use undergravel, have no idea what nitrates are or cycle. I get answers well my water is crystal clear so its perfect. I tell them, your toilet water is clear too, but I don't see you drinking that and saying its perfect
My dog seems to think its ok. This topic makes me feel real old; I can remember when UG filters were the standard, also remember trying to snake a piece of tubing thru the uplift holes to siphon out crud. On the substrate issue, IMO, CC (and flake food) are responsible for many, many nitrate problems.