Undergravel/ noundergravel

bojik

KInda curious what your guys experiences/opinions are of undergravel filtration on 20L tanks. Using oolitic live sand. Figure typical set up otherwhise.

W

winstew

Undergravel filters were all the rave back in the day before skimmer technology developed. Now they are very rarely ever used. Without intircate and specific care pockets of bacteria can build up and lead to poor and unstable chemistry.

dejaco

don't use it, live rock and sand and water changes - and rethink a 20 gal salt tank
to mee anything less than a 55 salt and you are really just throwing away money!

bojik

Originally Posted by DeJaCo
don't use it, live rock and sand and water changes - and rethink a 20 gal salt tank
to mee anything less than a 55 salt and you are really just throwing away money!
I have a 5 gal nicely stable safe for aglae on the glass wich is easily scrapped heh. I have 3 firefish and a colored tubeworm in it with 2 hermits and a conical turbo. A little overstocked but stable. Though i got the 5g hex free.

bojik

Originally Posted by Winstew
Undergravel filters were all the rave back in the day before skimmer technology developed. Now they are very rarely ever used. Without intircate and specific care pockets of bacteria can build up and lead to poor and unstable chemistry.
So basicaly get a sand sifter/stirer and forgo the UG plate? I was contimplating it cuz i got it free and it spreads the weight and helps level the base rock i was going to use to put the LR on. BUt a small rock doess that. That and it was a conveinient prefilter to mount my PH's on to put one to my refugium/skimmer box i made.