underwater cameras

ivy2dw7

I'm going on a Caribbean cruise in June and I found out just now that Sony doesn't make an underwater cover for my camera (cybertshot DSC-P32). So I decided to ask around on here to see what all most of you have used on your dive/snorkelling vacations. I won't be doing any scuba-diving, not ceritified, but I will be going to a lot of snorkelling sites. I just don't want to buy some random underwater one-time use camera and then have horrible pictures. I want these pictures to be good.

lovethesea

check on rentals in the area you are going. Usually they have rentals with the scuba/snorkle shops. :)
Have fun!

cayman isl

We've been using this Canon S50 and housing for about 3 years... takes great shots!!
Here is the camera and housing:

cayman isl

and one of the pictures from stingray city in Grand Cayman... fairly decent little camera and works great on land also!!

ivy2dw7

So you only used the housing unit w/the camera, no special lens or anything? Do you have any pictures from reefs?

cayman isl

Originally Posted by ivy2dw7
So you only used the housing unit w/the camera, no special lens or anything? Do you have any pictures from reefs?

Yea, the housing unit is useless unless you have the camera... not sure what you are asking..
A shot of the reef at Eden Rock, Grand Cayman:

Moorish Idols on the reef in Maui, Hawaii:

Some Passer Angels in Puerto Vallarta... real murky water that day:

ivy2dw7

Ohh no that's not what I meant, lol. I've been seeing a lot of lens attachments for cameras/underwater housing units that make the colors more vibrant underwater so they don't turn out dull. What I meant to ask was if you used any attachments on your camera or just used the camera and the housing unit.

cayman isl

Oh, I see.... Just the camera and the housing... the housing has controls for all the functions including the zoom... Most underwater shots have an abundance of blue hues in them and not enough red. We use photoshop to add back in the red...
This camera and housing are about 3 years old. The only complaint I have is that if you have them submerged for too long, the heat from the camera will cause a spot of condensation to build up on the housing lens glass. They give you an anti-fog solution that works for awhile, but not long enough for me!!
I think we paid a litle less than $600 for both the camera and housing. They have come down quite a bit since then.
Good luck in your search..
Have a great day!!

coachwah

Using a packet of silica gel inside the housing helps prevent moisture build-up. Photoshop does help with color, but the number one thing that will help with color is getting close to your subject. At depth (anything greater than 10' depending on the amount of sun and visibility of water) a flash is a must to get color, but you still have to be close for that to work. HTH. Nice pics. :D

cayman isl

Originally Posted by coachwah
Using a packet of silica gel inside the housing helps prevent moisture build-up. Photoshop does help with color, but the number one thing that will help with color is getting close to your subject. At depth (anything greater than 10' depending on the amount of sun and visibility of water) a flash is a must to get color, but you still have to be close for that to work. HTH. Nice pics. :D

We use both silica and dessicant packs and the spot still shows up eventually... thanks