undulated trigger really that mean?

trigger40

today i decided to go to my lfs to get some silver sides for my eel. so first off you know i brought my water just to get a free test. they told me my nitrates wher of the charts and i found that funny because my serpent star was fine and my one mexican turbo snail my trigger let live is hard at work so i figure they screwd up or something. but any way i went to look at some fish be cause i really wanted another trigger so they had a piccaso trigger, niger, clown, and a blue jaw you know the regular triggers lfs have. then i asked about an undulated even though i have no intention of getting one because of ther reputation but i asked about them anyway. the guy then immediately said that he will not sell me one! im like WOW ther really that bad!?! then the stories started rolling in about how thes fish have made people give up because of how agresive they are and how they kill every fish in a tank and they aperently attack you when you try to get them out! and its not fun to get bit by a trigger lol. and the guy told me about a guy who tried to buy one frome them and he wouldent sell him one so he went some wher els and bought a small one and in a year he gave up on the hobbie after it killed all his fish and even his powerheads wher destroyed! so do you guys think ther is any truth to thes stories?

jay0705

Ha ha ha yup!!! There nasty suckers. Nice looking and very easy to feed lol but they would take a finger off if they could get it

trigger40

lol jay i just read an article on doing tank matenince with one in your tank and it suggested some crazy stuf like put a divider in your tank so you can scrub the glass on one side lift it up let it swim to the other and clean other side lol its great

trigger40

i pulled this off of the article i was reading.

This author witnessed a 2”Undulatus attack a 15” Queensland grouper seconds after being introduced into a 200 gallon aquarium.(We won’t get into how appropriate it was to be keeping a grouper that attains a length of ‘cough’over 8’) The Trigger barely had time to take a breath before it was biting the much larger fish…relentlessly I might add. Total elapsed time for the “maybe I’ll get lucky and it will work for me Undulatus cohabitation experiment” – 90 seconds. This small chunk of empirical data, coupled with testimonials from numerous other aquarists leaves me no qualms about stating that this fish should not be kept together with other non-food item fish…ever. A few anomalous occasions where people can get away with it for a short time (it’s happened) shouldn’t persuade you to try it – be warned!

this answers my question lol

candaceswf

Administrator
Working here at SWF.com I help take pics of the marine life. The triggers are one of the hardest fish to get a good pic of bc they are so aggressive, especially the undulated and clown triggers. Thankfully haven't been bit yet, I can't say as much for the camera lol.

Also have a friend who had an aggressive tank and decided to introduce an undulated trigger, he quickly realized that was a bad idea. It immediately started harassing the other fish, and after two weeks and a couple losses, he went to the lfs and exchanged the trigger and the snowflake eel which was the only other living thing left.

I will note, that the small triggers aren't nearly as aggressive. Maybe introducing them as juveniles will have a different effect once they start maturing? I can't say for sure.

jay0705

Working here at SWF.com I help take pics of the marine life. The triggers are one of the hardest fish to get a good pic of bc they are so aggressive, especially the undulated and clown triggers. Thankfully haven't been bit yet, I can't say as much for the camera lol.

Also have a friend who had an aggressive tank and decided to introduce an undulated trigger, he quickly realized that was a bad idea. It immediately started harassing the other fish, and after two weeks and a couple losses, he went to the lfs and exchanged the trigger and the snowflake eel which was the only other living thing left.

I will note, that the small triggers aren't nearly as aggressive. Maybe introducing them as juveniles will have a different effect once they start maturing? I can't say for sure.
So u actually work w the fish swf sells?

jay0705

Ah very nice. I've never ordered online but have been considering it bc I can just order the fish I want instead of hoping they come in lol

candaceswf

Administrator
I haven't either, but after seeing our practices I wouldn't hesitate to order from Saltwaterfish.com. Be on the lookout for special discounts exclusively for forum members, and new contests coming up!

trigger40

nice sounds like a really fun job... maybe not for the camera lol. and it does effect ther aggression when they are introduced as a small fish but but unfortunately it seems that once they reach about 4'' they will kill everything:(

candaceswf

Administrator
Ya it's a good time, I'm surprised I'm not broke by now lol so many temptations! They're a good fish to have with the right set up, pretty much a tank just for the undulated trigger.... similar to a mantis shrimp, they're really interesting but super aggressive.

trigger40

yea i think one day im gona get one and keep him by him self because they truly are great looking fish.

jay0705

Funny u mention mantis shrimp lol I got one as a hitchhiker, never saw him til a few months after lol loves hermits crabs but doesnt bother my fish lol