unexpected accident

morales67

A few weeks ago, i went to california and hade vto move my aquarium dounstairs because it gets too hot upstairs. Unfortunately, yesterday, as I was moving it all back, and I was netting and bagging each fish, the last fish got stuck in the net.
I couldn't pull its fins out, and my mom had to help me cut away the net, but we couldnt get it all off because the fish wiggles too much. usually this is a pretty active fish but today he just sits on the bottom in the corner. he does still eat. what can i do?

meleerock

He is probably just stressed. It is a good sign that he is eating though. I would give him a few days to recover, just make sure to keep a close eye on him and make sure he is eating.
Bryan

morales67

YES i got it!! since i was left with no net and i couldn't stand watching it drag around 1" and 1/2" pieces of net, I stuck in my hand and chased it down. i observed the reason the net wouldn't just slip off and turned out that its fins have small barbs on the side, so i worked with it and after a while, i managed to pull the pieces off without hurting it.

browniebuck

If you can get it off, keep trying.
In the future, use some other sort of container to catch the fish (I use what was originally supposed to be a part of a mini-refugium...but a cup could work just as well), as most will get their fins tangled in the net, especially if they are stressed after a long pursuit. I know that in my area, all LFS use a net to coax the fish towards the container that they use to catch them. Of all the fish that I have had, I have never seen one of my LFS actually net them.

browniebuck

By the way, it is going to take Cartman forever to kill him with a whiffle ball bat (one of my top 10 favorite episodes!).

lesleybird

I hate netting fish because of the problems that you had I have had many times as well. I now chase fish into a plastic bucket and also catch them out of a bucket in my hands loosely cupped around each fish and do not have any nets getting caught on my fish anymore. Lesley

grabbitt

Originally Posted by browniebuck
Of all the fish that I have had, I have never seen one of my LFS actually net them.
Haha I can relate to that... There's a kid in my store that more or less plays the role of shop idiot... I think he's there to make the others look better... Damn Aquarium Store Conspiracies...
In fact, today, I taught him that the five stalks of hammer head coral were, in fact, NOT Ricordea mushrooms.... Among fifty other things..

ric maniac

Originally Posted by browniebuck
By the way, it is going to take Cartman forever to kill him with a whiffle ball bat (one of my top 10 favorite episodes!).

same here