Unforseen Dis-zaster

reefpro

Originally Posted by Bonebrake
So you can't control the RK2 from your computer? You can view the data, but if you want to make adjustments to something plugged into it you have to physically change things on the RK2 unit itself?
:notsure:
If that is the case, I'll wait for the RK3.

The RK2 has a control panel that's 2x4 and will allow you to adjust anything. It's a standard CAT5 connector that you can run wherever you want. So if you want the control module on your desk you can have it on your desk :)

bonebrake

Oh ok! That is not so bad; I wouldn't mind rigging it up right at my computer desk. In fact, when I move in a couple of months, I plan to have my computer desk directly beside my new tank.
:jumping:

reefpro

That's how mine is. I have a big desk with a 90 gallon tank right next to it ;) The RK2 allowed me to get rid of like 3 power strips, 4 timers and gives me some good information at a glance ;)

bambam_250r

That Rk2 sounds cool
About heaters. I change mine every year. I buy Hagentronics heaters. I've never had a prob. with them. I had a ebojager and it died on me. But I can get Hagen for about $15 off of that auction site and it's worth the $15 a year for my 100w just to give me a little piece of mind that it won't fail (or at least shouldn't)

mr. green

My 2 cents: I purchased a Reefkeeper 2 for my future tank. Really breaking down the costs of livestock death when a heater fails or pH goes through the roof vs. the costs of the RK2 with a pH probe is a no brainer. I know this hobby is expensive, but starting right can really save you the $$$$ in the long run. When I first started my research, I was like NO WAY am I spending that much on a controller, but after really thinking about it, it makes sense.

bonebrake

Originally Posted by Mr. Green
My 2 cents: I purchased a Reefkeeper 2 for my future tank. Really breaking down the costs of livestock death when a heater fails or pH goes through the roof vs. the costs of the RK2 with a pH probe is a no brainer. I know this hobby is expensive, but starting right can really save you the $$$$ in the long run. When I first started my research, I was like NO WAY am I spending that much on a controller, but after really thinking about it, it makes sense.
Especially when if you went without one you'd probably blow $100 on power strips and individual timers for everything.

ratrod

I like what I'm hearing on this thread, Murph is on to something. In the mean time its imparative we all stay in comunication to avoid all the junk

mr. green

I think a product review section on this forum would be great. Not any information on where you purchased it, just the name of said equipment, model number, and review. It could go a long way on saving some time and money for members tanks.

ratrod

I think Mr. Green has the right idea! A product review section would be the answere! If saltwaterfish.com is really commited to keeping are creatures alive I would think they would consider it. I've learned a lot from this forum and had a lot of fun I think this would be a thing we would all benifit from.

bonebrake

I vote for a product review forum as well. If a mod sees this thread, please create a new forum just for this purpose.
:joy: