unidentified critter?? sea slug?

J

jrthomas40

lol....i started to just take it out since i didnt know what it was but i figured it had been in the rock this long and i didnt know and it didnt hurt anything before so what would be the difference

sprang

Whatever it is make sure it's not munching your coral. I've been having terrible luck with hitchhikers lately! Ahhh. Hopefully yours is harmless

J

jrthomas40

yeah that is what i was worried about but all of my corals seem fine but that was one of the first pieces of rock i bought and it has had be in there since and all my corals seem good so...hopefully now that i have seen it, it doesnt want to be naughty... :)

birdmom

Originally Posted by jrthomas40
i would try to get another pic but when i had that piece of rock out of water that was the first and last time i have seen it
Hmmm.. That is a side view right?? On first glance I would not say it is a limpet.. but, as the angle of the pic might be decieving I would not rule it out.
My second thought is a type of Chiton.. Still hard to tell...
My last & least likely thought is some type of olive...
I will keep thinking... I like a challenge...

J

jrthomas40

it came out today for the first time ever i dont know what it was doing but it was spitting stuff out and it really looks some type of snail or some type of gastropod i tried to get a picture but i cant get a clear picture

a2hotz

It looked something like that. The first time I saw it, I couldnt tell if it was fossil in my live rock or something that was alive. I poked it with the back side of my net and it didnt do anything. It was pretty hard. I still wasnt sure if it was somethign imprinted in my rocks or not. The next day it was gone so it was definatly a critter. Then a few days ago I saw it again. I hope I can see him again. I have a camera ready next to my tank for when I see him again.

a2hotz

I caught it and I dont know what it is.... It died earlier today from crawling out of the container... I just now, as I was typing this just spotted another! These are the things I started this thread for!
They are snail like on the bottom but not on top. they have segmented shells
NE IDEAS?

a2hotz

chiton for sure! good call! Thanks a bunch! I seem to be finding these all over now. Ive only seen them once before today and now ive found like 5!