Unknown Disease

aries3

Hello,It started when i added an urchin and a pistol shrimp into my tank. I have no idea what it is but it kills fish extreemly fast in less than 12 hrs of noticing this illness the fish is dead. I think it got into my tank when i used my friends 72gal as a holding tank for my shrimp and urchin because i couldn't get them home right away. When i got home i spilled a little bit of his water into my accidentally. The infected fishes have no skin discoloration or andything on thier surface and they show no abnormal breathing. The only thing they do is sit on the bottom and act like thier trying to go to sleep or something by wedging themselves into hard to see areas. It is a 20 Gallon with a regent 170 filter. The water parameters are fine i checked this morning. Tank temperature is 79 f. I have 2 Percula Clown fish and a Small Bannana wrasse. Any one know what disease this is please post.:(

aries3

I lost another Percula :( i really hope no one else has had a disease liek this. All my fish are gonna be dead by morning at this rate.

I

irenicus

What are the other symptoms? Have you always QT'd your fish before adding?

aries3

The only symptoms i can see are that the fish stay near the bottom, don't swim around and try to hide between rocks.
No i havent QTed fish before i put them into my tank. It wasn't a fish that brought this disease to my tank it was the spilled water i think.

aries3

Update on my fish- 2 Percula are dead. The Other percula looks like hes showing signs of the disease, and my bannana wrasse seems fine for now.

aries3

I checked my Ammonia nitrate nitrite and ph yesterday they were fine the water temp is 80 right now. I have a carbon filter running right now and i am going to replace it today. I am also going to do a 75-90% water change today also depending on how much i can get out. thanks for your help

aries3

I was talking to my friends this morning and one suggested using copper because he said he had once had a disease similar to the one i have. Should i try using copper or not?

I

irenicus

If you add copper, it will be in your tank for a LONG time.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Do the water change before medicating your tank. Not all water problems show up in test kits. What circulation do you have in the tank? Have you added any new fish lately? Could this be aggression?

aries3

Yes i added a Pencil urchin and a pistol shrimp. and i used my friends fish tank as a holding tank and thats where i think i got the disease from. I went to my LFS today and they said that its probably a bacterial infection in the gills so they told me to add Iodine, Bromactine and Iron to my water to prevent it from spreading. They said that the percula is probably gonna die though. thanks for all your help.

aries3

I am going to do a full water change soon I just need to set up my 10 Gal So I have a place to put my wrasse and remaining perc who miraculosly hasn't died yet although his colors have faded drastically:( . My eye sight is 20-20 though i need to go and check it again soon seriously.