Unknown Organisms !!Please Help!!

mz3bmx

My tank is currently on day 12 of the cycling process and I noticed a huge population growth of these two organisms crawling on the glass of the aquarium and in the filtration. Does anybody know what they are and if they should be a concern to my tank? These things are microscopic and can only be seen if you put your face right up to the tank but are noticeable since there are a huge amount of them.

alexknight

for the first I was going to say fire worm but I dont think they glow..... hopefully someone can ID them for you.

mz3bmx

Do you know which species of fish and inverts feed on copepods? Hopefully somebody can help me out to pinpoint the worm.

subielover

Almost every fish will eat pods, sixline wrasses have been known to eat the worms. However I wouldn't add a fish just to address these hitchhikers. They are beneficial and will regulate their own population.

peef

Don't worry at all about the bristleworm. There is NOTHING you can do about them and they are actually quite good to have. They are a vital part of the CUC. The pod doesn't look like the dangerous type so that is also a good thing to have. They both have initial fluctuations of population (sounds like a song title) but then will level off according to food and space.

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by subielover
http:///forum/post/2815872
Almost every fish will eat pods, sixline wrasses have been known to eat the worms. However I wouldn't add a fish just to address these hitchhikers. They are beneficial and will regulate their own population.
a ridiculous bristleworm population is typically a sign that you're overfeeding ALOT.. or feeding very inefficiently.

cranberry

It's a Dorvilleidae. They are not scavengers like a regular bristleworm... they actually act, move and eat quite differently. They can grow in numbers as nutrients rise because there is more film algae to eat and what not. Just watch their heads when they are on the glass and you will see those black markings on their head move... that is them rasping the algae.

paintballer768

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/2816780
It's a Dorvilleidae. They are not scavengers like a regular bristleworm... they actually act, move and eat quite differently. They can grow in numbers as nutrients rise because there is more film algae to eat and what not. Just watch their heads when they are on the glass and you will see those black markings on their head move... that is them rasping the algae.
The 2nd pic made me think it could even be bristleworm larvae, but this better explains why they are found on glass.