Unkonown Hitchiker Crab with Photo

krissytool

Hello, i bought a beautiful piece of live rock and found a crab living inside (there were two but one died in transport) and i have searched high and low on this site and others but cannot find any info on this guy
. Will this crab be reef safe? i have him in quarantine so he poses no threat at the moment.
Thanks in advance

donald

A better pic would be more helpfull. posibly one showing claws and more color. The claw looks like an emerald crab,not 100 percent sure, it is hard to tell from this pic.

perfectdark

Emerald greens are hairy and they are reef safe. It kinda looks like a cross between an emerald and a sally lightfoot.

grabbitt

Most of what tells us if a crab is dangerous or not relies on the claws... Can you get a better picture of them sticking out?

deltablack22

You did the right thing keeping it out of your display until you ID it. Usually predatory crabs can be better ID'd with a picture of its claws...

kevtheiris

Originally Posted by Isaac
in general, any crab that its hary. NO GOOD.

wait, i have an emerald crab, he's hairy, i was under the impression, that he was alright, as long as i dont stock sponges???

krissytool

From what i've read hairy "generally" means bad but there are obviously exceptions to all rules in reef keeping.
Thanks for everyones help i will try to get a pic of the claws tommorrow after work and try to take the pic in a lighter environment to show the true colour.

renogaw

Originally Posted by KevtheIris
wait, i have an emerald crab, he's hairy, i was under the impression, that he was alright, as long as i dont stock sponges???
emeralds are fine. i even have sponges...

mikersof

Not sure how much that might help but here's the same photo again with a little help.
I'm happy to sit back and let the experienced say what it is =)
Best wishes!
james

renogaw

look like a mithrax crab, cousin to emeralds.
problem is, that's still not a good pic of the claws. are they cupped or pointy?

mikersof

Krissytool was the one that made the original post. I just tried to enhance the photo she uploaded. Also, seeing that she lives in Australia, it may be a few hours 'till she's up.
james =)
PS: I have always wondered if the people "down under" refer to us in the US as the people "up over"?

krissytool

Sorry MikerSof cant say i have ever heard anyone refer to the U.S.A as "up over" but i guess i could start a new trend haha.
sorry guys i havent been on for a couple of days but i had a slight incident.............The crab was put into quarantine and so were some new fish i aqquired and as the old story goes, they now have white spot
, so i medicated using tri-sulfer (always works a treat ) but didnt even think about the poor crab. Long story short he died before work, on the only day i was running late, and i quickly netted him out and put him in the bin.
Unfortunatlely i did not get a chance to get another photo of him, well i guess we'll never know thanks to me being in a rush