unusual or unique

hops523

not really I wish I had something really unusual like somekind of cool hitchiker that just started to grow, but I dont:(

greggti

I got this weird red "tube like" algae growing. The first pic was when it first started to appear(about 10 months ago). The 2nd pic is now. It is hard to see all of it but now it covers a rock that is about 3"x6" and is starting to move off that rock and onto my sand bed. Occasionally one will get broken off and float away. It'll land somewhere in the tank and either die or get eaten. My snails and hermits don't touch it, my emerald crab shows interest, I have seen him pull a stalk off the rock, but I didn't see him consume it. I think it is Scinaia sp.

arsen_36

cool thread. i don't have anything unusual in my tank...... actualy i don't have anything in my tank :thinking: . anyway lets see some crazy fish ***)

chat noir

inlaws found this .. id say its pretty unusual since its over a meter long, thick as a thumb in diameter - but i think theyre taking it out because it freaked them out

emmitt

I'd say definitely a eunicid worm. WAY bigger than the one I got out but not quite in Weast territory yet.

moby

Hey greggti,
I don't think that is Scinaia. I could be wrong, I'm no expert on this particular subject. But Scinaia usually has thin stalks, at least any I have seen. That looks more like a sponge of some sort. I say this from the photo it looks like tubular stalks plus Scinaia grows faster than what you discribed. Just a guess.
Whatever it is, I love the rich color.
If anyone can confirm exactly what it is I would love to know.
Moby

momitts

I'm not sure if these are unusual or not, but there pretty cool none the less.
The first is some kind of sand sifter, cucumber possably. It wont move all day then it will be on the other side of the tank the next morning.
The other is some kind of pollip anneome. (i've been told) it's cool because during the day he will pull all of his tenticles in so you can just see the pods then they will get about 3-4 inches long during the evening.
If anybody knows the names of these I would apprieciate the info.

moby

Can anyone identify greggti's mystery hitch hiker?
The more I look at it the more it bugs me. I would love to know what it is so I can get some for my tank!

Moby

G

gregsreef26

Originally Posted by greggti
http:///forum/post/1625179
I got this weird red "tube like" algae growing. The first pic was when it first started to appear(about 10 months ago). The 2nd pic is now. It is hard to see all of it but now it covers a rock that is about 3"x6" and is starting to move off that rock and onto my sand bed. Occasionally one will get broken off and float away. It'll land somewhere in the tank and either die or get eaten. My snails and hermits don't touch it, my emerald crab shows interest, I have seen him pull a stalk off the rock, but I didn't see him consume it. I think it is Scinaia sp.
sorry to drudge one up from the past, but I am still looking for an id on this stuff. The stalks are now almost 8 inches tall in some places. It really is still contained to the one rock and sometimes it gets so tall it falls over and that piece breaks off and dies. Any ideas?

myerst22

Well I have a couple of rare fish and one that is uncommon. Here they are. Regards, Tim
Rhinopias Frondosa

Gymnothorax Meletremus

Not that rare but uncommon Arthoron Mappa