update on garlic and ick

keitho

thanks everyone for the help with the ick outbreak. within three days, the ick has disappeared all because of a little garlic. i think this is a great discovery, however it was discovered. the best part about it is that it's all natural and reef safe! thanks everyone for helping me get my tang back into shape :)

blueberryboomer

I'm glad to hear you have gotten great results from the garlic, just remember not to use it for more than 4 days in a row. It will cause your tank to cloud up...We learned the hard way. It is so awesome to have a easy cure for something that is such a pain in the butt...Later Lisa

flydan

Hey,
Great news!
It was probably discovered by the guy who chewed up Flintstone vitamins and blew them into his tank! :rolleyes: He had such success with that he started going through his pantry to see what else his fish might like! :D
Take care,
Dan'l :D

twoods71

I had the same results with ick and garlic on my clown fish.
However recently on a coral beuty the garlic took about 2 weeks to rid the fish of ick.
I guess it all depends on the fish.

denisec

these posts say not to do it for long but I thought you had to do it for a month to kill them in the substrate.. or do I have my aliments and cures mixed up

nm reef

Good news about the ick being gone.........garlic did well for me the first time I tried it and now I add just a little every sunday morning when I feed....figure it can't hurt....and if it does boost immune systems of my fish....well maybe I can prevent ick from rearing its uuuuuuuugly head........ :eek:

fishfreek

DeniseC, i ususlly treat light infestations of ick using the garlic method in my reef for three to four weeks. I know meny others that have done the same. I have not experienced any cloudy water using koylic garlic from GNC. I think it is best to go the full treatment (3-4 weeks) to attempt to rid the tank of these nasty buggers. HTH

chopper320

What is the method everyone prefers to feed garlic? I once got the garlic flakes at a health store nearby to feed to my flake eating fish and it seemed to work great. Now most of my fish are meat eating and I haven't found the right stuff yet. The only thing I can find at the stores is minced garlic and it does have some juice in the jar to soak stuff in but not much. I've heard people say that they just buy regular garlic oil, but where do you find that at?

denisec

I bought some cloves of garlic and some powered garlic and put a piece of a glove cut up a bit and a big pinch of powder in a mug of water and then add the mysis (or whatever) and let it sit in the refig. overnight then I use a small plastic fork and fish out the food and drop it in the tank. I bought mine at a Mexican store in my hick town I live in. I am sure they have it in about any grocery store.

nm reef

I just take a fresh clove of garlic.....one small section....smash it to open it up a bit.....put it in a small container with a little tank water...let it sit a hr or so....drain liquid off and add to food........kind of like soaking food in zoe

nm reef

liquid.......sometimes little bitty pieces get in....but I try to avoid any if its possible......primarily the liquid

keitho

hey guys and gals...
the other thing is that fresh garlic, if available, is probably the best. dried garlic is not as effective, but it will work. i just try to use fresh garlic whenever possible. also, be careful with the pre-minced stuff you buy in a jar at the store. it contains phosphoric acid as a preservative, and this can dissociate in a basic solution to yield, of course, the dreaded phosphate ion everyone hates. this becomes even more important if you decide to treat the tank for a month, so in my humble opinion, fresh garlic is the best. anyway, for what its worth....