Update on new Harlequin shrimp(pics)

F

fishlovr

I checked my tank after the lights came on to see the status of my new Harlequins. They have not seemed like a pair since I got them. They don't seriously fight but they don't want to be around each other either. The larger one was on the far left side of my tank while the smaller one was still on the right. They are easy to remove as they cling to their starfish like they were velcrowed:) I took them both back to the LFS this afternoon and told them that I thought I had two of the same --- or else a juvenile pair, not a mated pair of Harleys. They told me that they had orderd another pair along with mine and that I could see them in their little 6 gallon Eclipse tank. Needless to say, they were hanging out together and when I put my starfish in with them they immediately went for it together. No fighting, just sweet togetherness:) I exchanged mine for the true pair and brought them home. This resulted in a happy ending for both them and me. They got fed, I got a mated pair:) Here's a pic of them still in the bag and again after being introduced to their new home. I'm elated!
I read somewhere that someone was calling their pair Boris and Natasha......that's what I've decided to call mine:)
Janey

F

fishlovr

They really are prettier.....I noticed that right away. I guess I got lucky in the end. I'm going to feed them 1 starfish a month and see how it goes. I've read the posts of someone else who has a pair in his 75 gallon. He feeds his 1 live starfish per month and has had great luck with them. They even have little harleys:)
My new peacock mantis is doing great.....thanks for asking. I've included a pic of him after completing his new burrow and also one "Tex" my new staghorn hermit. He reminds me of someone wearing a big cowboy hat! God sure made some marvelous critters!
Janey

F

fishlovr

The actual hermit quite small.......about like a scarlet. The hydro coral he is wearing is about 2 x 2 inches. I don't know how he can cart it around, but he does. He doesn't really move that much.....pretty much stays in a 4 x 4 inch area. I feed him little pieces of dried krill and he seems to be happy:) I've heard not to have any empty snail shells laying around the tank as he'll trade in his cowboy hat in a snap!
Janey

dinhouse

Okay you have sold me! I want a mated pair. Is 75 gallons large enough for a pair or harliquin shrimp? Also is it hard to breed them or with a pair and good water will nature take it's course?

F

fishlovr

I"ve got mine in a 58 gallon. If you go to Reef Central and look up posts for Mtndewman you can read up on his harleys. He has his in a 75 gallon. I think he is going to try and raise some of the larva. He has pics of his carrying eggs. The neatest thing. He feeds his strictly blue linkia........HTH
Janey

You said you are going to feed them a live starfish once a month - does this mean they only need feeding once a month? or do they eat other things? They are really good looking, congrats:D

maryc137

I have one Harlequin.The last time I fed him one whole average size chocolate chip star it was gone in a week. I don't think one starfish a month will be enough for 2 harleys.

F

fishlovr

I imagine ALL starfish would be at risk. Someone will probably reply that knows more than I. As for 1 starfish a month, I'm going by what Mtndewman feeds his pair...... strictly blue linkia which, on the whole, are much bigger than the choc.chips......thanks for pointing out that two chips/month would be more in line, if I use them:) The Harley pair cost me $50.00 worth of credit that I had acquired at the LFS through selling frags......
Janey

F

fishlovr

Oh, I forgot......to my knowledge they only eat starfish!

F

fishlovr

Maryc137.....how can you tell when your Harley needs another starfish? This is all so new to me!
Janey

maryc137

Harley just kind of hangs out under a ledge of rock kind of like our cleaner shrimp do. When it's been awhile since he's eaten I notice that he starts walking around out along the glass like he's searching. I figure that's when he's hungry again. I usually let him wait a couple days more, then I give him a leg. Not very scientific, but so far it seems to be working.

F

fishlovr

Do you retrieve the old leg before giving him a new one? Or is there anything left to retrieve?
Janey