Updated picture of Blue Spotted Ribbontail

peter ray

thanks, he's one of my babies! I enjoy having him and so do my family and friends! He is definitely an ice breaker at home parties! :happyfish

teresaq

Hes beautiful. the top picture looks like he should have baby clownfish, angle fish, seahorses riding his back say "MR RAY" (Nemo) -- very cute

peter ray

This is Peter Ray hunting at night and making a mess as usual. He tends to splash water out the top and throw all his food around. It's pretty much all gone and "cleaned up" by morning.
These were taken in complete darkness with a Sony a100 and flash.

peter ray

Originally Posted by 30-xtra high
beautiful ray!, try not to get stabbed in the heart... like somebody we know

Good idea! He's pretty calm. Every once in a while he will swim really fast back and forth in the tank, but he seems to do it with a smug look.

taznut

Originally Posted by MiamiReefr
If I am not mistaken rays mouth structure is built up of cartilige and they have a great amount of crushing power. They don't have any kind of serrated teeth or any for that matter if I am not mistaken. But don't be fooled a good size ray will snap your finger easily if caught in its mouth if it think it's food.
When I was on my honeymoon I remember a spot in grand cayman islands called ray city. basically the name speaks for itself. I decided to hold a sardine I had to feed on of the bigger rays. sure enough he took the sardine along with my 2 of my fingers. i had to punch it to let go because it was about to snap my middle and index finger. not fun at all.
Gorgeous ray man and congrats on successfully kepping it
Nick
OMG... this is nice to know now... my lfs has a pond with 2 sharks and a ray in it, the ray came to the top and i was petting it (must have liked it, it kept coming back for more)... one of the employees walked by so i asked if it would bit me, he said 'they dont really bit, they will just suck', so i tried to get it to 'suck' on my finger... really glad he didnt...

cashmere740il

Hey nice ray....Here's mine.....camera phone sucks. It loves going to the top of the tank and sticking it's nose out and then doing flips in the water and flapping around...cool to watch...and then when I drop some ghost shrimp in he goes crazy and starts a feeding frenzy.

psusocr1

Cashmere740IL Hey nice ray....Here's mine
you have crushed coral in there with him dont you? it looks like very large and sharp chuncks.. nice lookign ray but be very carefull when he tried to bury himself he is going to scratch himself, get a cut which will lead to infectiona nd maybe death...

azfishgal

I love rays, but I'm doing a reef tank and no room for him. Looks like you've given this guy a great place to call home. GREAT pictures btw.

peter ray

Originally Posted by Cashmere740IL
Hey nice ray....Here's mine.....camera phone sucks. It loves going to the top of the tank and sticking it's nose out and then doing flips in the water and flapping around...cool to watch...and then when I drop some ghost shrimp in he goes crazy and starts a feeding frenzy.
Cool Ray! How long have you had yours? Male or Female? I can't tell by your picture. What size is your tank?
Does your Ray like to bury himself? I have read that these usually don't, but mine buries himself all the time. Especially after he eats. He gets his fill and then settles down for a nice nap in the sand. All I see are his eyes. Pretty cool. Will get a picture of that soon.
He also likes to follow the dogs when they are close by watching him. If no one is paying attention to him, he splashes water to scare the dogs. Dogs jump up, take a look, and then the Ray swims back and forth like he is teasing them.

cashmere740il

Originally Posted by psusocr1
you have crushed coral in there with him dont you? it looks like very large and sharp chuncks.. nice lookign ray but be very carefull when he tried to bury himself he is going to scratch himself, get a cut which will lead to infectiona nd maybe death...
Hey, I took him out of there and put him in my other tank while I took every bit of cc out of there....it is now a bare bottom. I am picking up some fine sand this week....my water is also crystal clear now....for some reason the cc was causing my water to be a little cloudy.

cashmere740il

Originally Posted by Peter Ray
Cool Ray! How long have you had yours? Male or Female? I can't tell by your picture. What size is your tank?
Does your Ray like to bury himself? I have read that these usually don't, but mine buries himself all the time. Especially after he eats. He gets his fill and then settles down for a nice nap in the sand. All I see are his eyes. Pretty cool. Will get a picture of that soon.
He also likes to follow the dogs when they are close by watching him. If no one is paying attention to him, he splashes water to scare the dogs. Dogs jump up, take a look, and then the Ray swims back and forth like he is teasing them.

I don't know if it is male or female

No, he likes to always stay at the top of the tank sticking his nose and flaps out doing flips....it's cool to watch. I have a bare bottom as of the last 2 hours and I am waiting on my and to arrive but I still dont think he'll stay down there....he'll rest on the bottom and feed but then he swimming around doing flips at the top of the water.

psusocr1

if it has claspers next to its tail on the underside it male if not its female..
are you using any powerheads in the tank or submersible pumps? if so check if you have stray voltage. Stingrays are especially sensative to stray voltage and this may be why he nevers settles down.

cashmere740il

Originally Posted by psusocr1
if it has claspers next to its tail on the underside it male if not its female..
are you using any powerheads in the tank or submersible pumps? if so check if you have stray voltage. Stingrays are especially sensative to stray voltage and this may be why he nevers settles down.

It's a male. No I do not have any extra voltage running through the tank. I am looking at it now and it has been resting in one spot on the bottom for the last hour or so...I did notice that he seems to like the lights. Thats when he likes to come to the top and do flips.

bob skippy

Man! What an awesome ray! I cant wait till mine come in! Im putting 2 in my tank...if they ever come in. LOL I hope I have as good of luck as you have.

sharkboy13

well two q, one for the general public and one for skippy bob, what makes them so hard to take care of? and ur seriously getting two exspensive hard to keep rays while one is generally hard enough for the experienced hobbyist

psusocr1

they just dont do well in captivity,, some say its because int he wild they stay in large schools, some say they need WAYYY too much swimmign room to roam and relocate that we cannot provide them, but noone really knows