Upgrade progress/Plumbing Question.

shoimen

Hi!
My move this weekend went ok....
I got the new 75 all setup and performed my wet test. All appears fine.
One thing I have noticed is that there is a surge of air shooting from the spa flex segment that leads to the sump. (Right side of sump/fuge in pic) It is cyclical every few seconds. I believe it is caused by air being trapped in the plumbing. I have my air hole drilled inthe durso end-cap and the water in the chamber is holding steady.
I am inquiring to possible fixes for this, as it is very annoying (noise and saltwater splashing everywhere).
I followed the durso specifics exactly for the standpipe...I believe the issue lies below the bulkhead. I have a T intersection (straight down leads to the fuge and the side leads to the sump) I then have a valve just under the T so that I can control the amount of flow that goes where.
My theory is....
The PVC "T" and Valve are perfectly vertical. I have read everything should be at angles...? However, the spa flex below that is curved a little bit and i figured that would resolve this..
Can anyone give any suggestions??
Thanks!!

squidd

Can anyone give any suggestions??
How "deep" is the outlet end of the sump line submerged in the sump...?
(as deep as shown...???)
"Suggest" 1" deep... with a small "air hole" drilled in "3-4" above water line ...

shoimen

Originally Posted by Squidd
How "deep" is the outlet end of the sump line submerged in the sump...?
(as deep as shown...???)
"Suggest" 1" deep... with a small "air hole" drilled in "3-4" above water line ...

The spa -flex is submerged 3-1/2" into the water of the sump.
You're saying to shorten that up to 1" and drill an air hole in the sump spa-flex tube about 3 or 4 inches up out of the water?
I'll await confirmation of this just to be safe. =)
Tnx for the quick reply squidd!!

shoimen

I just went ahead and did this....
and it appears to be working more smoothly. Off to the hardware store to pick up some eggcrate and supplies...
Hopefully will be getting some live rock this evenin!
Wohoo!

jabbajaw

I am looking to make a fuge about like yours and was trying to figure out which flex tube squidd had you put a hole in? The return? How is the spa tubing working? I would rather use that than pvc. Thanks in advance.