Upgrade to HQI

beckzilla

I have a 110 gallon reef tank and have (2) 400 watt MH Ushios 10,000K and was talking to my local reef tank dealer and he recommended going to HQI and dropping to 250 watt and 20,000K for power savings and better light for corals and clams. Need opinions on switching and also on the main difference between ARO and PHO ballasts besides price.

murph145

hey there i run 3-250W Phoenix14K 250W HQI bulbs on PFO HQI ballast and i really like the color and coral growth these bulbs provide..... IMO the coloration is good and i dont run any actinics sicne the light is already tingged blue...
in a tank like urs u could cut down to the 250's to save on electricity and still have great growth and colors with the lower wattage bulbs ....

beckzilla

What is the main difference between the Phoenix 14K and 20K? What is the advantage to PFO over ARO and is the extra cost worth it?

murph145

u know im not sure the difference between the PFO and ARO ballast i know that the PFO has alot of power to really get the best burn out of the bulb... i like my PFO ballast
as far as the Phoenix 14K's i think they are similar to 20K bulbs not totally blue but a nice blue tint but they provide a stronger PAR to the corals which helps stimulate coral growth

beckzilla

I talked to a lighting supplier today and they said there is no noticable difference between the 2 ballasts. If you took the 2 apart they would look almost identical inside. I had my local coral dealer tell me that PFO has a better power input to the bulbs. Anybody want to comment since I am getting ready to order and want to know if PFO is worth the extra money.