Upgraded my 29 reef to a 65!! :)

hallzy

So I finally upgraded my 29 gallon reef. I found a 65 gallon tall that someone was selling and couldn't turn down the offer. Picked it up with everything for 100! Got it all setup and everything transfered over with no problems! I just need more rock now, it looks a lil empty now! Haha ill get some pics up tomorrow. But anyways here is my dilemma now... I was fine with my lil 6 line and yellow watchman when it was only 29 gallon. Now that I have more room id like to get bigger and better fish! Lol I can move those 2 guys upstairs to a tank I started awhile ago in hopes of doing a seahorse tank but couldn't talk myself into the challenge so it's sitting empty right now. so keeping in mind that I have lots of different coral and some hermits and snails, here is what I would LIKE to add, but know I won't be able to add due to size, compatability, ect and would like everyone's opinions.
Huma Huma trigger: I think he would be OK tank size wise, but not sure about coral. I've read they're coral safe but not sure bout my hermits and snails and such.
Panther grouper: I know everyone says different on how big the tank should be for these guys. Rarly i've read that a 65 is minimum but mostly I see MUCH larger minimum is required. I've also read that they eat crestations, but I don't know if that includes hermits. That's really the only that I have.
Yellow tang: yet again I know people will say 65 is way too small but I have a friend that has kept his in his 65 gallon for a few years now. Would still like opinion tho!
Fuzzy dwarf lion: don't know much bout these lil guys at all besides that they are like puppy dogs.
Flame or longnose hawkfish: (maybe) again don't know much bout them, or if I would be overstocking, I've just always really liked these fish!
So those are my plans. Now bring on the advice as far as compatability with coral and each other, and tank size and such!

flower

WOW those are some big fish...yes if it has a shell it will be fish food.
65g is a small aquarium in the SW fish arena....one of those fish maybe, but not all of them in the one tank.

hallzy

Well I don't nessicarily mean I want to get them all, I just named them all to get opinions on them all. And will all of those fish eat crestations? I don't see how they can get to hermits if they can can go in their shells for protection. Oh and after reading meowzers post a out her new puffer it made me wanna add this to my list of possible additions! Lol

hallzy

Well before anybody else even puts in their 2 cents, im just gonna go ahead and nix the panther grouper idea. They are really cool I just don't think it's worth the hassle. They need a way bigger tank. The main 2 id really like are the Huma Huma and yellow tang. Now is a Huma gonna eat my hermits or snails, and would I be able to keep my 6 line and yellow watchman in with them? Also, if I get these 2, could I get anything else and what? I thought maybe topping it off with a flame angel would be some nice coloration. Thoughts?

teresaq

Panther would be too big, as would most tangs. you might be able to do a yellow or scopas for a time, but remember tangs are open water swimmer.
Dwarf lions are cool. shrimp would be a meal for it. Mine didnt bother hermits or snails. Dwarf angel would work, as would toby puffers. Though small snails would be a meal.
I know nothing about triggers.
T

hallzy

Would a dwarf lion be OK with coral? Also would my 6 line and yellow watchman be OK in that group as well or would I have to move them to my 30 gallon that is upstairs?

teresaq

They are fine with corals, but any fish that can fit in its mouth is food. there are several threads in the aggresive section on them, and saxman would be the person with the most experiance with them
T

hallzy

Wow maybe a flame angel won't be a good choice... I was just reading that they may or may not nip at coral. Not a risk I'm willing to take! I don't like them all that much anyways! Lol they're just very colorful. Does anybody know about triggers and hermits? Will they eat them? I really like my hermits but I'm willing to move them all to my upstairs tank if that's what I have to do for a Huma Huma.

S

siptang

Dwarf lions are ok with the corals however it moves across the rock works with it's sharp fins and it's quite possible that it will mess up your coral this way. (mine messed my brain coral up LONG time ago. )