upgrading 75/90 lighting issue

mgh

I am planning to upgrade my tank, but not sure if i should get the 75 or the 90. I plan to use my 130w pc lights for actinsics with a 250w mh 10k. I have had no major problems with soft corals under the pc light. I would like to have a variety of others but not sure if my lights will support to much else. with the 75 gal ill have like 5 w per gal and with the 90 it will be low 4 any advice or suggestions would be appreciated
thanks

wangotango

for a 4' long tank you will need 2 halide lamps. with 250's on a 75 or 90 you wont really have any restrictions as far as coral go. sps will do great under this lighting, but a lot of soft corals will put a damper on their growth. watts per gallon is not a very good rule. this isnt that case here but if you have 8 wpg of PC and only 5 wpg of halide the tank with the halide will have better growth and coral success. see what i mean? go with (2) 250's with the PC suppliment. as for which tank to go with, they both have the same footprint the 90 is just taller. your choice but id go 90.
-Justin

mgh

Thanks for the input. Is it possible to have the halide on one side for high light and pc on the other for low light corals?

wangotango

you could, but the halide side will be brighter. id go with two halides and just put your lower light demanding coral towards the bottom of the tank, or more in the shade.
-Justin

mgh

thanks, for now ill use the two lights i have. eventully ill get another 250w mh. I think ill get the 90 gal. i allready made the stand so it was a toss up and didnt know if 380w would be ok.