Upgrading my skimmer to outside sump?

tomtoro

I need to upgrade my Berlin HO skimmer to a larger stand alone outside the sump skimmer. My bioload is too much for this skimmer. I was going to go with an ASM G3, but it's too tall and everybody told me I have to have it in the sump.
Any suggestions on which skimmer to get that will be very efficient, rated for 200gal or more, height is no problem(outside the sump) and costs under $400.00?
Thanks,
Tom

ms752

Hey tom I am going through the same problem because my sump is too small the opening is only 11x11.5, I was also looking into the ASM but it wont fit. I would appreciate it if you come up with any good skimmer let me know.
I was looking into the Nautilus TE or the Berlin Turbo, but no one has giving me any comments on anyh of those two.
Mike.

tomtoro

Originally Posted by MS752
Hey tom I am going through the same problem because my sump is too small the opening is only 11x11.5, I was also looking into the ASM but it wont fit. I would appreciate it if you come up with any good skimmer let me know.
I was looking into the Nautilus TE or the Berlin Turbo, but no one has giving me any comments on anyh of those two.
Mike.
Hey Mike,
If the berlin turbo is anything like my Berlin HO, I'm not happy with it. Very inefficient and uses a huge motor to run mag 7. Not familiar with the Nautilus yet.
So far I've been told an ATI Bubblemaster 200 is one way to go. I've read from threads that it blows the ASMs away and it's super compact. Problem is, it's about $550.00. That's about 150 too much for me. I'll keep you posted if somebody else suggests something and you do the same.
Regards,
Tom

sharkbait9

check out MY REEF CREATION OR MRC SKIMMERS. Acrylic turned me onto the MRC skimmers and i have never looked back. You could everything you need for maybe a little over 400 or less if you know were to look, say on the "bay"

acrylic51

Hey Sharkbait9 how's that monster running.......
ASM has to be run in a sump due to they are prone to seep around the cone, since it's not sealed like a Euro.....The Octopus would be another skimmer to look at.....I personally like the MRC beckett skimmer, but you'll probably run into height issue again......

tomtoro

Originally Posted by acrylic51
ASM has to be run in a sump due to they are prone to seep around the cone, since it's not sealed like a Euro.....The Octopus would be another skimmer to look at.....I personally like the MRC beckett skimmer, but you'll probably run into height issue again......

I'm not worried about the height issue anymore since I'm going to plumb it outside the sump. I want to overpower my skimming for a change.

sharkbait9

Hey Acrylic.
Absolutely love this skimmer. Getting it “tuned” in was little bit of a pain in the *** but with two beckett towers, I had to kind of except that dialing it in would take some time.
Now this skimmer turns out way more mud with a little less water then my coralife skimmers but a lot more green smelly mud. Definitely going to be switching the rest of my skimmers out with MRC skimmers.
Speaking of the MRC did this guy named crash ever email you? He has a set up question about the MRC and I have no clue. He explained it to me but I don’t think it will work.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by sharkbait9
Hey Acrylic.
Absolutely love this skimmer. Getting it “tuned” in was little bit of a pain in the *** but with two beckett towers, I had to kind of except that dialing it in would take some time.
Now this skimmer turns out way more mud with a little less water then my coralife skimmers but a lot more green smelly mud. Definitely going to be switching the rest of my skimmers out with MRC skimmers.
Speaking of the MRC did this guy named crash ever email you? He has a set up question about the MRC and I have no clue. He explained it to me but I don’t think it will work.
I know what you mean.....dialing takes a bit, but once you hit that sweet spot it's mad.....now it's super easy to skim dry or wet.....I don't recall getting an email about the MRC skimmer setup.....tell him to shoot me another email.....
TomToro it's really a personal choice.....If your looking for something relatively easy then a needlewheel would be your best choice.....If you want raw skimming power a beckett would be the ultimate choice.....You do need a pressure rated pump to drive the becketts to their max potential though, so if electrical consumption isn't an issue as well, then theres another pro for the beckett.....

tomtoro

I know what you mean.....dialing takes a bit, but once you hit that sweet spot it's mad.....now it's super easy to skim dry or wet.....I don't recall getting an email about the MRC skimmer setup.....tell him to shoot me another email.....
TomToro it's really a personal choice.....If your looking for something relatively easy then a needlewheel would be your best choice.....If you want raw skimming power a beckett would be the ultimate choice.....You do need a pressure rated pump to drive the becketts to their max potential though, so if electrical consumption isn't an issue as well, then theres another pro for the beckett.....
Is the Beckett the name brand or is it a style like a venturi?

mynameis

I run an Octopus recirculating skimmer for my 125gal and love how it works. I went for the one that was rated up to 400gal because I plan to upgrade to a larger tank eventually (the 125 is great but bigger, Bigger, BIGGER). It pulls really thick dark skimmate within a day of set up and was a breeze to tune it in. just google this and check it out Octopus DNW-200 Recirculating
Protein Skimmer...fits into your under 400$ budget

tomtoro

Originally Posted by MyNameIs
I run an Octopus recirculating skimmer for my 125gal and love how it works. I went for the one that was rated up to 400gal because I plan to upgrade to a larger tank eventually (the 125 is great but bigger, Bigger, BIGGER). It pulls really thick dark skimmate within a day of set up and was a breeze to tune it in. just google this and check it out Octopus DNW-200 Recirculating
Protein Skimmer...fits into your under 400$ budget

Thanks MY,
Sounds perfect.
I appreciate it.
Tom