Upgrading Reef

fish1031

I have a 180g set up as FOWLR and a 65g reef also.
I want to make the 180g a reef including all the stuff in my 65 and then take the 65 down.
How would I go about doing that?
Would I have to empty all the FOWLR water and get new sand?

triga22

I would empty everything out of the 180 clean it dry. Add sand and LR and cycle it. After its done cycling slowly add the fish 1 by one every month or so until they are gone. After 6 months or so add the corals and LR from the 65 to the 180.

nycbob

if u currently hv a fowlr 180 gallon, all u hv to do upgrade the light on it providing its not at least a pc light. the only difference between a reef and fowlr r the corals.

alix2.0

why would you clean it dry? what kind of sand is in the FOWLR? i dont understand why you would take everything out.
edit//
Originally Posted by nycbob
the only difference between a reef and fowlr r the corals.

brandon7491

i agree that is just a waste of time and money to take everything out replace everything and let everything cycle. we need more details though like stocking,params,equiptment type of corals are in ur 65 ect

alix2.0

Originally Posted by TriGa22
I thought he had CC my b.
even if he did why would he have to take EVERYTHING out of the tank and dry it? he could just siphon the CC out. sorry if im missing something... doesnt really make sense though.

fish1031

it has live sand... in the 65 in a baby blue tang, royal gramma, 2 clowns, baby foxface, shrimp, snails, crabs, the params are great in there... the 180 params are not as ideal with a 14" mappa puffer...

triga22

Because stuff would build up in the CC and cause a mess.I used to have it in my 29. Its not that easy to get out without having brown nasty water. I just sprayed the tank down in the yard. Filled it up with sand and horay!

tinmanny

you have to see if your lro tank fish are compatible with a reef system I thought you said a puffer that is I believe a no no in a reef tank
but you should when you are ready to switch just vacume the sand and get it as clean as possible
then start by moving the corals first then the rocks then a couple fish at a time untill it is all moved over the fish are the ones you have to go slow with the others will help the echo system
good luck Manny

kidreef

Originally Posted by TriGa22
I thought he had CC my b.
i got crush coral in my reef u can do it but sand looks ALOT better

brandon7491

if u would like to convert to a reef u dont have to take out everything and start all over ur just gonna end up losing something and it will be a pia for u to re cycle again. just make ur fowler into a reef by building it into one slowly. upgrade ur lighting and skimmer and u should be set

fish1031

thats the plan upgrade the lights and skimmer and get rid of the non reefsafe fish
so the water should get better with a cleaning, big w/c, getting rid of the fish, and adding more LR?