Upgrading tank: all new water?

jj48

Hey I am planning on upgrading from a 65 to 125. I was wondering if I should use all new water with the existing rock and sand. Also, I will need to add some more sand and rock. Should I be prepared for another cycle? The 65 is 9 months old. Thanks in advance!!

ebsochin

When I m oved everything from my 75 to my 180 I used some of the water all of the LR and got rid of the crushed coral. I don't see a need in using all new water. You might see some sort of a cycle.

shnabbles

iv heard you should try to keep 50% when moving your tank.. .since your upgrading to a larger tank i would try to save as much water as you possibly can

reefnut

Generally you reuse as much water as you can in an upgrade... are you also transferring your livestock at the same time??

jj48

Transferring will depend on whether there will be another cycle. I am moving and going to upgrade at the same time, so I cannot have two tanks set up at once. I could buy a nano to keep it all in for the time being and keep most of my rock in a rubbermaid container with a powerhead. What would be the best way to handle it? Thanks!

reefnut

If you have the time, this is what I would do...
Buy the rock you are planning to add. Fill up a rubbermade tub with new water, throw in a heater and a couple powerheads. Allow the rock to cycle. Fully curing the rock before hand will greatly reduce any new cycle in the new tank. After the rock has cured you can transfer everything into the new tank using the water from the existing tank and the water from curing the new rock (as long as the chemistry is good). You could also put the new sand in with the new rock to cure it at the same time. It's likely that no matter what you will have some sort of cycle but it should be minimal.

civicracer

not too hijack your thread, but what if you need to transfer everything? livestock included. and you can't set up a temporary tank?