Upgrading

bugsman

Hi, I haven't been around for awhile so as an update I have a JBJ 28gal Nano HQI. I have 2 black&white clowns and 1 Bi-color , Blenny, some snails and hermits, and Emerald crab along with frogspawn, various zoa, duncans, lobo, chalice and ricordia and the other kind of mushrooms. It has about a 2" sandbed and about 20lbs of live rock. Well I'm gonna say my tank has been doing very well because everything is growing to the point I think it's gonna start being a problem as the tank is too small. I couldn't add another thing if I wanted to.
Someone has given me a 55 gal rectangular tank. It needs cleaning, repainting and everything else. Was wondering if ya'll could give me some advice on equipment for this size tank - and what would work best. Once I get the right equipment, I'll start bugging everyone on the best way to move everything from the 28 to it.
All advice and help appreciated. I'm sneaking around at work typing this out, but when I get home tonight I'll upload a FT picture of my 28 gal. Thanks much

sweatervest13

Is the new used tank drilled?? Do you want to run a sump tank? That is gonna determine a lot of what equipment you would need to plan an upgrade. I suggest using a sump, and either drilling the tank yourself or getting a siphon overflow box. I would try to drill first.
As for moving a tank. Do a search here and you will find a lot of threads with folks asking the exact same thing.
The first link is a search here on SWF.com. The second link is a thread from a few months ago. Lots of good info.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/newsearch/?search=moving+to+a+new+tank&type=all
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/392851/upgrade-moving-help
Congrats on the upgrade!!! Good Luck!!

bugsman

Sorry it took me so long to get back here. The tank is not drilled. I'm going to ask my LFS if they do that or can recommend someone who can because I sure know nothing about that. I plan on reading your links and appreciate the information. Here is the promised photo of my tank. I admit to having some hair algae on the back wall and also poor aqua scaping on my part - even though I've had the tank up for about 18 months now, it's hard to place corals on the rock the way I have it.