use eggcrate? did you cut a hole for your light?

gfk

i just put some white plastic eggcrate (office light cover) on top of my tank. in my opinion the tank seemed to be brighter when it wasnt on there. do you think it would help at all if i cut a hole in the middle where my light sits?
anyone use eggcrate, what do you have done?

masala4080

what type of light, strip light, spot light? im sure if the light was close enough to the egg crate, like resting on it then it would work.

T

thomas712

Why did you use it, to prevent jumping fish??? Do you not have a canopy?
The only thing I used egg crate for is to use it on the bottom of my tank.

T

thomas712

Perhaps instead of using it as a cover you could use it to build walls up to the canopy top or to the lighting. This would give you an edge against them jumping out. I did have a firefish get through those holes though.

corynm

Are you using eggcrate?? Or the opaque light covers? If you're using the opaque light cover, your light intensity will definately suffer. Eggcrate looks like a graph paper grid with 1/2" squares. The panel is also about 1/2" thick. If I am understanding your post correctly, it sounds like you are using the panels that are only about 1/8" thick and do not have the 1/2" squares in it:thinking:
I could be wrong, but I'm just checking...

gfk

its eggcrate. the stuff with the square holes.
im not using a canopy, it is on a 20h i am partially using it to catch salt, and partially using it as a cover. its in my bedroom, so i dont need anything getting thrown in it. or fish jumping later down the line (im cycling) the lights i have now are strip lights i am going to get a corallife 130 watt power compact pretty soon. guess i was just freakin out a little :)

corynm

Sorry about that...
Anyway, I wouldn't think that the eggcrate would block very much light at all...so I will quit now