Use sump or filter(s) on 37g?

dskrezyna

Hey all,
I bought a tank that I thought was a 40g or 45g but it ended up being a
37g, not a big deal to me. The dimensions are 30 x 12.5 x 23.
I have bought a bunch of stuff already but wasnt sure if I should drill this tank and the stand so i can use a sump or should i just use filters. Im in an apt on the 3rd floor and didnt wanna deal with a sump but my landlord said she was confident the floor would support the weight. I bought a Octopus 100 skimmer which I was going to HOB of the DT, or in the sump?
If I use filters, what should I use?
If I use a sump, I will get what can fit in the stand, probably a 20g. The sump would intake on the left, LR/Chaeto in the midle, and return on the right (would buy mag drive 9.5). Now for plumbing, Id need to drill two holes in the tank, one in the bottom for the intake and one at the top right for the return, yes? (unless I had the pvc return pipe come over the tank, which would be better?).
Thanks

subielover

Drill it, 20 gallon sump/fuge underneath and you are good to go. Given the choice I would go with a sump every time. Will also give you more water volume and a place to get equipment out of sight.

ameno

sump/fuge

if you don't want to drill you can always do a hang-on overflow, drilling would be much better, but for the return you can just run it over the top, no need to drill for it, just one hole for the supply.