using epsom salt

notsonoob

Isn't Epsom salt ok for a SWF tank?
I know it is good for a foot sprain....hehe
Seems that it is recommended on web pages.
Details I found:
Compounding the issue is the simple fact that there is so much magnesium in an aquarium that significant supplementation requires a great deal of material. A 100-gallon aquarium contains about a pound of magnesium! In order to raise that same aquarium by 200 ppm of magnesium, one would need to add on the order of 2 pounds of dry magnesium salts!
Epsom Salts (USP grade magnesium sulfate heptahydrate) is readily available in drug stores and very inexpensive. The problem is that if you were to raise magnesium by a large amount (or a small amount several times) the aquarium water will become relatively enriched in sulfate. This enrichment may not be a problem for some aquaria, especially those using salt mixes already deficient in sulfate,15 or those that experience frequent water changes. Bingman21 has addressed these enrichment issues and has suggested a recipe for home made supplements based on Epsom Salts and magnesium chloride. The problem is in getting the latter in adequate purity.

pohtr

Wow, that's confusing. If adding epsom salts will raise the sulfate level do I have to get yet another test for sulfate? I swear I spent about 2 hours today testing the swa water. sigh.
The chemical calaculator is calling for adding about 23 oz over 2 days. It looks like about 3 cups or so (of epsom salt). Looks like a lot of salt. Or is epsom salt not really salt at all??

notsonoob

Magnesium sulfate (or sulphate) is a chemical compound containing magnesium and sulfate, with the formula MgSO4. It is often encountered as the heptahydrate, MgSO4·7H2O, commonly called Epsom salts. Anhydrous magnesium sulfate is used as a drying agent. Since the anhydrous form is hygroscopic (readily absorbs water from the air) and therefore harder to weigh accurately, the hydrate is often preferred when preparing solutions, for example in medical preparations. Epsom salts have traditionally been used as a component of bath salts.
Another question. You have a water softener?

notsonoob

I never added it before. As it states it may drive up sulfates as that is what epsom salt is.
I think I'll err on the side of safe and try to find something dedicated just for aquariums to raise magnesium...

pohtr

I don't have a water softener but I do have the typhIII water filter system and the tank uses only rodi.
Wow, that's still confusing!
Epson salts is one of the products listed in the reef chemistry calculator that is floating around here somewhere.

notsonoob

You can use it, but you just have to be careful.
The reason why I asked about the water softener is because it takes magnesium ions out of the water to help soften the water. I'm thinking that people that have calcium issues with their tanks, probably run soft water and not having calcium and magnesium supplimented.

milkman

I've been using epson salt for over a year now with no ill effects. I only dose 2 cups a week every Saturday to top off water, disolve with a powerhead and slowly add to tank over the following week. I've thought about purchasing magnesium but I'm too cheap.

renogaw

if you google improved two part solution there is a dosing regiment that includes epsom salt, and i've been using it mixed with magflake snow melt for a little. Granted, you use very very little of it though (the magnesium part)

pohtr

Milkman - 2 cups a week of epsom salts? How big is your tank? How did you decide on that quantity?
Not so Noob - I think I will use it this time to get back up to norm, and continue this for more answers & suggestions.
Renogaw - what's magflake snow?
Thanks for all the input.

notsonoob

I've read the same mixture too.
I would say it looks ok. I was just warning that if you use too much you will saturate your tank with sulfates. I couldn't find out anything to discribe teh effects of that yet, but I'm sure over-saturation is bad news.