Using Tap Water

slice

After reading Florida Joe's link, I would suggest looking at your municipal water quality report; it should be on your municipality's utility page on their website. That may cause you to reconsider using tap water. Is there an LFS nearby that sells RO/DI water?

florida joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice http:///t/388477/using-tap-water#post_3426095
After reading Florida Joe's link, I would suggest looking at your municipal water quality report; it should be on your municipality's utility page on their website. That may cause you to reconsider using tap water. Is there an LFS nearby that sells RO/DI water?
Exactly what I always tell people, just because its ok for some to drink that does not mean it ok for all to be exposed to it

florida joe

Product info

• Detoxifies nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, chloramines and chlorine

• Detoxifies toxic organics in older water for fewer water changes

• Does not interfere with biological filtration or nitrifying bacteria
    Functions equally well in fresh or salt water
    Foes not in general affect the water's pH
    Safe for Reef and Live Rock aquariums
Directions: SHAKE BOTTLE BEFORE USING. Add 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of Pond AmQuel Plus per each 10 gallons (40 liters), 1 liquid ounce (30 ml) per 60 gallons of water, or one cup (8 ounces) per 480 gallons of fresh or salt water.
Each standard dose will detoxify more than 2.0 ppm (mg/L) of ammonia, all the chlorine or chloramines added by public water suppliers, as well as accumulated nitrites and nitrates. Safe to use with either fresh or salt water nitrogen cycles and the resulting normal bacteria.
Use in well aerated water. Under marginal aquarium conditions, Pond AmQuel Plus can moderately reduce oxygen levels in the water during the first hours after use. Be sure circulation/aeration is adequate. Always allow a 24 hour period between single dose applications.
Pond AmQuel Plus can reduce chemical medication dyes such as malachite green, methylene blue, and potassium permanganate. AmQuel Plus is compatible with test kits using salicylate reagents - do not use Nessler reagents. For oxygen tests do not use Winkler reagents. To fully condition water, Pond AmQuel Plus should be used with Kordon's Pond NovAqua Plus, which provides a protective skin coat to fish, detoxifies heavy metals, and adds electrolytes.
Pond AmQuel Plus is not a medication and is not intended to be a substitute for any chemotherapeutic agent.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN

Non-toxic to humans, pets and aquatic life.
For ornamental pond and aquarium fish use only.
Not for human, medical or food fish use.

beaslbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/388477/using-tap-water#post_3427248
How is using macro algae gonna make tap water safe? Is one going to grow it inside a large bin with the tap water mixed with salt, and then take the algae out???
Too much work and not effective imo.
Well actually you could filter the tank water through dried macro algae but that was not my idea.
My point was that using live thriving macro algae in the tank will make tap water usable. Especially if you don't do water changes and just top off.

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaslbob http:///t/388477/using-tap-water#post_3427266
Well actually you could filter the tank water through dried macro algae but that was not my idea.
My point was that using live thriving macro algae in the tank will make tap water usable. Especially if you don't do water changes and just top off.
It's an outside of the box idea but still, how are you going to top off with tap water and make it safe? It would take a while before the macro algae absorbs all the dissolved nutrients... etc.
And filtering the tap water through dried macro algae wouldn't remove anything but particles in the water, which is not the concern most have with tap.
Both seem very un effective at the specific cause.
Imo.

beaslbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/388477/using-tap-water#post_3427268
It's an outside of the box idea but still, how are you going to top off with tap water and make it safe? It would take a while before the macro algae absorbs all the dissolved nutrients... etc.
And filtering the tap water through dried macro algae wouldn't remove anything but particles in the water
, which is not the concern most have with tap.
Both seem very un effective at the specific cause.
Imo.
That is incorrect. dead macro algae biosorbs contaiminants like copper so effectively that it is actually used by environmental engineers to clean up industrial waste water and contaminate sites.
Live macro algae will bioaccumulate things like copper very effectively. In one study a macro algae exposed to 250ppm copper in the water went from 30ppm copper to over 1000ppm copper in two weeks.
We tend to think of macros only helping with the ammonia/nitrate/phosphates and carbon dioxide. But what it basically does with those is recycle fish wastes into fish food. And stabilize the environment. But by removing the macro you are also vastly reducing the copper and other things in the system. Which means some of those things will have to be added back in the tank like with baling or diy 2 part methods.

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaslbob http:///t/388477/using-tap-water#post_3427407
That is incorrect. dead macro algae biosorbs contaiminants like copper so effectively that it is actually used by environmental engineers to clean up industrial waste water and contaminate sites.
Live macro algae will bioaccumulate things like copper very effectively. In one study a macro algae exposed to 250ppm copper in the water went from 30ppm copper to over 1000ppm copper in two weeks.
We tend to think of macros only helping with the ammonia/nitrate/phosphates and carbon dioxide. But what it basically does with those is recycle fish wastes into fish food. And stabilize the environment. But by removing the macro you are also vastly reducing the copper and other things in the system. Which means some of those things will have to be added back in the tank like with baling or diy 2 part methods.
So you are saying that before one is to add tap water to a tank they have to grow out macro in it???

snakeblitz33

lol, travelerJP, I'de listen to Bob. He's been an aquarist for decades, and even I greatly heed his advice. He's one of those people who will every now and then let you get a peek at their genius, like Bang Guy.

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/388477/using-tap-water#post_3427502
lol, travelerJP, I'de listen to Bob. He's been an aquarist for decades, and even I greatly heed his advice. He's one of those people who will every now and then let you get a peek at their genius, like Bang Guy.
lol.. I guess his advice was too much for me too handle, too advanced!
some come to me........ I go to you... you go to bob or bang guy... It's a chain!

snakeblitz33

lol, I don't go to anyone, lol. If I don't know something, I research the mess out of it until I understand it. Then Bob or Guy comes along sometimes and imparts little tid bits of knowledge every now and then, which I also remember.

beaslbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/388477/using-tap-water#post_3427444
So you are saying that before one is to add tap water to a tank they have to grow out macro in it???
No.
but I guess you could say have a planted FW tank an use that water for the marine setup.
My main point is basically to balance out the tank with macro algaes and they use much less (or no) water changes to reduce the dependance of tank conditions on the replacement water.
So I am not saying you dump in delicate sps corals immediately into a tank made with tapwater. But to let the macro (or turf) algaes grow and condition the tank over a few weeks and add the bioload slowly. And to dose calcium/alk/mag to makeup for things depleted which also cannot be fully replaced with water changes.
And of course you have to provide the lighting and feeding and other needs of the corals as well.
But on the other extreme and most definately for fish and "easy" corals topping off with tap water from a commonly used cold faucet after it has been ran for a minute or so, will not result in the immediate loss of anything in the tank.
Bottom line to me is whether or not filtering/water conditioning is best done with chemicals, ro/di (or other man made) filters, or with thriving growing plant life.
but hey that's just me.
and my .02

travelerjp98

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH... now I understand. That's a really good idea and I completely agree with the plants instead of chemicals thing. The only problem I see with that is that most people don't have the resources to do all that.

beaslbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/388477/using-tap-water#post_3427562
lol.. I guess his advice was too much for me too handle, too advanced!
some come to me........ I go to you... you go to bob or bang guy... It's a chain!
Interesting
Many many years back before my posting methods matured and my knowledge increases, Bang_guy and I had many many discussions.
I learned and now think we are "freinds"
Of course he may disagree.
my .02

beaslbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/388477/using-tap-water#post_3427839
AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH... now I understand. That's a really good idea and I completely agree with the plants instead of chemicals thing. The only problem I see with that is that most people don't have the resources to do all that.
I was curious as to what resources you are talking about.
the only resource I can see is $5 worth of macros and a $10 partition.
but then I guess you could add much more if you wanted.