Using the ocean to start a tank

ophiura

I would absolutely positively use natural sea water if it is an option.
Sand and rock from your area, I would probably not, as it is not calcareous. If you are doing a local tank it would be fine, but IMO not for a reef tank.

Y

yoshii

Interesting question, it's about 1-2 hours to the beach for me, I have also been wondering this.
The park ranger guy said that you can pick up anything "hard" like shells and whatnot, just not anything "soft" like starfish and animals.

cranberry

If you wanted a coldwater tank, you could do this. We are going to start a cold water, west coast, ecosystem. But the tank is going to be COOOOOOOOLD! Like, sweat is going to be an issue, cold. You will not be able to remove any legal critters and put them in a typical warm tank temperature.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by Oceansidefish
http:///forum/post/3119513
I would also add that in some places taking rock is a big no no
"Some" places would be any state that have a coast. I don't know of a state it's legal to collect live rock. Dried rock up on the beach is another story, however you have to consider where you're at, and if you typically go to the beach, chances are it's some type of park, where it's not legal to collect.
Originally Posted by yoshii

http:///forum/post/3223979
Interesting question, it's about 1-2 hours to the beach for me, I have also been wondering this.
The park ranger guy said that you can pick up anything "hard" like shells and whatnot, just not anything "soft" like starfish and animals.
As Cran points out, anyone needs to consider the habit the animals they'd take come from. Coldwater stuff won't live in our tropical tanks.
As far as what's legal, you need to consult your state law's. States are different, but sometimes you just need a saltwater fishing license (Florida), or just inhere to state guidelines, Alabama (IIRC), or permits in California. And then there are regulation per individual species, size limits, etc.
The other thing is as I mentioned above, where
you collect. In any state, you can't collect in state parks, etc, regardless if you have a license/permit...

beazalbob69

I live on the west coast of florida and I have been collecting water from an inlet to use in my tank for awile now. So far havent seen any problems. I just make sure its clean no trates/phates I also let it sit or filter it well before using it. If the water was really bad I wouldnt see fish everywhere and I mean everywhere! The water I collect has 0 nitrates 0 phosphates perfect salinity perfect PH. Its actually cleaner than the water in my tank.

Also collect cleaners like snails and hermits. As many as you need all free!
The companies and LFS that sell salt will tell you its very bad to get water from the ocean. I wonder why???? $$$$$. Same for critters. 2.00$ for a snail or tiny hermit? WTF? I will take my chances.
As for sand and rock. If you get the sand from offshore where you know its pretty clean I would do it. I started my 1st tank with sand from the beach. Just cleaned and baked it very very good. It worked fine just doesnt buffer the PH because its almost pure Quartz. Rock I wouldnt use for a reef tank its not the right kind of rock.
But as with everything your mileage may vary.