UV Filter plumbing

E

elvis

What would be the best way to plumb an 18 watt Double Helix UV Filter into the main return line from my wet-dry filter? The manufacturer recomends that I "T" off from the main line so only a portion of the water flows through the UV. Should I "T" off, then "T" back into the main, (creating a "loop" off of the main line) but still let the main line run between the two "Ts", or should I just simply plumb the unit inline? I am pumping around 200 gph through the main return, which is well within the recommended flow rates of this model UV. Please help!

wyldgunz

Make a bypass off the main line using a T and farther down the main line put another T and connecting the t's with pipe and elbows.. the uv filter will go between the T's and act as a bypass filtering a portion of the water.

squidd

Nope, that won't work...
"T"ing off the main line...through the UV...and then "T"ing back into the main line gives you a "parrallel" system...
As water will flow through the path of least resistance ( and the Double Helix has a lot of restriction) ALL the water will flow through the main line and none through the UV...
Plumbing the UV "inline" "sounds" like an option @ 200gph, But the "recomended" 100gph min to 350gph max flow is to be measured at the OUTPUT of the UV...
Using the 200gph from your wet/dry will restrict flow too much rendering both ineffective as well...
"T"ing off the main line through UV and back to tank will also result in less than optimal flow through UV.
Your best bet would to run a seperate PH about 300gph from the sump through the UV and back to sump (to minimize "head" loss)
The output on the UV will then be about 150 to 200gph...an effective flow rate for the UV to work at.
Or if you don't mind the HOB stuff, running it "out of tank back to tank" will concentrate the filtering action where you want it most.