UV??Ozone??In reef tank??

I would like to "if" Ozone and or UV is safe?, good?,bad?. I have both for a 105g that I bought (entire setup from moving friend), But it seems that the LR isn't so "live" and wanted to know if I should bother using either or.(I heard they good for a FO tank :rolleyes:, but i plan on a reef :confused: )(If I don't need then could sell them to aford some nice LR ;)
thanks for your time :cool:
Wastedincome420@aol.com
PS: I do plan to have a refugium and a DSB

Well none of this is "running" yet, but tryng to do "my homework first".Both UV and Ozone will cause die-off in DSB&Ref.?? Would it help to one or another just during the "cycle"?

I am going to have to disagree with both posts.
I was talking to the lfs and they had a good point.
You should have a uv sterilizer
reef or no reef.
The good thing about it is when a disease (parasitic) comes up you can safely treat it in the main tank with no chemicls.
Usually if the fish is healthy it will get through it. ( This is what the people at swf message board told me)
with a uv sterilizer it will kill the parisite befor it spreads to other fish.
About the things in the dsb well arent they situated in the sand not floating around to be sucked up by a pump.
Most of the organizms are either in the substrate on the glass or the rock.
Think about it.
Adam

big dave

Yes to the UV, definitely NO to the ozone. Ozonators, like wet/drys in a sense, are "too efficient" for a reef tank. Both of these are technology primarily for very large fish-only systems. Ozonators strip the water of trace elements, and smell bad while running. I highly reccomend not using it. Maybe you could sell it and use the money to buy some more LR! This is my opinion, if anybody out there uses ozone on their tanks (reef or FO, by FO i mean lacking LR/LS) I would like to hear some success/failure stories.-Big Dave

ironreef

uv and ozone kill the small animals that help feed the corals. In a healthy reef with good stocking levels compatible fish there isn't going to be disease. Most likely fish get sick when they aren't compatable. Sure you can buy sick ones but a qtank will let you know this. UV ozone kill it a waste. i guarentte you you won't have the pods ect with one. if you have these items and have pods imagine what you can have without. Think about it. it 's only common sence. LSF have a high turnover anddon't care about the little animals.Also uv isn't very effective in one tank. they are more effective when having mutiple tanks. and they usually need to be large watts.
[ November 03, 2001: Message edited by: Ironreef ]

ironreef

Originally posted by Salisbury A D:
<STRONG>I am going to have to disagree with both posts.
About the things in the dsb well arent they situated in the sand not floating around to be sucked up by a pump.
Most of the organizms are either in the substrate on the glass or the rock.
Think about it.
Adam</STRONG>
Alot of the parasites that attch to fish live in the substrate after they are released from the fish. Theres lot of ppl who have uv and they did little if you had an ick prob. it can go on its own. IME uv aren't very effective. When I had fo I had uv didn't matter. fish still would get ick. When I learned how to buy compatable fish= no ick. I have a huge sailfin and achilles tank no ick probs. No uv or ozone. Alot off ppl have tang and have nothing but probs but they don't give them what they need imo. fwiw ozone is more effective than uv but imo doesn't belong in a reef.