UV STERALIZERS

novice150

Can running your UV steralizer too long be damaging? If so, to what? My lfs told me to run it 2 weeks, off 2 weeks. What do you guys suggest? Thanks.

dad

i'm with sammy(oh hi sammy).
Ultraviolet Sterilizers kill harmful microganisms. Free floating parasites, viruses, fungi and bacteria are exposed to ultraviolet
light when passed through a sterilizer. The UV lightwaves produce a high radiation level. This causes changes in the chemical bonds
of the DNA molecules in these organisms, resulting in their death.
this will harm a reef tank! i have heard of turning off the filter when chems are introduced. maybe this is what your lfs was talking about? my 2 cents.

novice150

Originally posted by dad:
<STRONG>i'm with sammy(oh hi sammy).
Ultraviolet Sterilizers kill harmful microganisms. Free floating parasites, viruses, fungi and bacteria are exposed to ultraviolet
light when passed through a sterilizer. The UV lightwaves produce a high radiation level. This causes changes in the chemical bonds
of the DNA molecules in these organisms, resulting in their death.
this will harm a reef tank! i have heard of turning off the filter when chems are introduced. maybe this is what your lfs was talking about? my 2 cents.</STRONG>
Thanks for the quick responses. I am confused about Dads reply though. It says the UV kills "harmful" microrganisms. So if they are harmful, and thats a bad thing, how can killing them be bad for a reef tank? Im not doubting you in any way, just confused.
I wrote a couple of days ago, about my new 300 gallon reef tank. I have a UV, on both my 150 FO, and the 300 Reef. Both of these tanks were sold to me this way. Do you recomend that I remove the UV steralizers from the tanks? Especially the Reef? Thanks again. :)

mr . salty

Just something too think about...If a UV kills plankton and micro organisms,,What do you think happens too these little critters as they pass through the powerheads and filter pumps...Are you not already killing most of them this way also????

jimi

Most things survive and spread via powerheads although they may be a little dizzy. The purpose of a refugium is not only to reduce nitrates but have a safe place for food(micro critters) to grow safely and eventually they get pumped back into the tank.

cveach

I disagree with that statement. I added a UV to my Reef tank May 11, my tank had been setup for over 9 years. I have not noticed ANY illeffects from adding the UV. I feather dusters still reproduce like fire all over the rocks and glass, coraline grows sheet ontop of sheet and Green Hair has been slowed dramatically. Copepods and Amphipod numbers have not changed.
PS: Its good to be back I was
Extreamly bussy the past
few months.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It stands to reason that if the UV kills "bad" micro organisms, then they would also kill "good" ones. Come on, you think the UV can tell the difference between good and bad?? LOL UV is used primariy to assist in the control of parasites where fish are present. Therefore, if you have a reef tank and you are going to be adding fish, especially consistently adding fish, then the UV might be a good option [the lesser of 2 evils if you want to look at it that way--UV or ick?] However, if you are not going to have fish in your reef, than don't use a UV. There are plenty of better ways to deal with algae than sterilization.
[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: Beth ]

dad

ok, the votes are in,lol
i said in my statement above that uv Sterilizers kill harmfull$%# well you have read.
for fo tanks this is a must(imo). in reef tanks is a bad thing(imo).
this is why reef tanks have ls and lr etc.
everything is there for a reason. "proper (ego) system". everything in a reef tank needs something "bad" to make something "good". deprive that one thing and it suffers. the whole tank suffers!
Beth made a statement that it will (or could)kill good things as also. i agree!
cveach made the statement that a uvs had no effect on his/her tank. "not yet"!
reefs are a ego system! do not take away nature's way of doing things. some chems and things are furnished by nature that in a tank we have to supply. that is a fact!
but isn't the perfect tank the one where we do not have to touch? never feed? nothing?
people stive for more chems ,lights, filters.
why not try for less filters and chems?
i think i've put in more than my 2 cents now.
just a thought; less manmade filters! find natures! add IT to your tank.
sorry...i was on a roll, :)

maury

Ok, a little confused here. Would the same sterilization of water opinions here apply to ozone as well? THe tanks at the LFS where I go are run with an ozonizer as well, and the corals are huge and look great (600 gal tank with enormous corals) been up for over 4 years as well. I have recently added an ozonizer with a probe and keep the ORP at around 330, and the only bad effect I noted was crystal clear water. Also, I am not trying to raise any corals that require any feeding on my part, mostly deriving their nutrition for sybmiotic bacteria. How would ozone or UV negatively effect this setup?

maury

Actually, I want a tank that looks good with healthy specimens that I have placed in it. If in the future if I would want to add something that would require these nutrients I would have to think over giving up the ozone. And no, I'm not interested in running a completely natural system with the full range of good AND bad microorganisms.

maury

Whew! It's nice to see that attidute. I know many in the hobby have a 'my way or the highway' attitude when it comes to running things completely naturally, and look down at those that use uv/ozone (met a guy at the LFS that was browbeating folks when he found out they were using oz/uv) Let's say I aspire to have a stable ecosystem, but I need all the help I can get!

dad

hey Sammy,
Maybe i am reading this wrong. Sorry if i am but below my post you said everyone was entitled to their own opinion. Was that directed towards me?
I was agreeing with you 100%+.
All i was stating is that fo tanks might need uv filters because they do not have the ego filtration system that reef tanks have.
I'm not upset or anything. Just wondering?