UV Sterilizer...need expert answer please

nitegrl33

I have a 55 gal DT, with an AquaClear110 power filter(cascade type). I just got this Jebo 11Watts UV Sterilizer. It didn't come with a hose so i went to local pet store to get one and the guy there told me I wont be able to run it on my tank because it's suppose to connected to the in/out hoses of a different kind of filter than what i have. If I can't connect it that way then my question is, can I buy 2 pieces of hoses (one for in and one for out) connect to it and run it by itself in the tank, instead of it being connected to a filter? Will it work that way, since it came with a submercible pump?
I was looking up those filter's prices and they're not cheap, and my filter is new, i didn't want to have to switch it, but i wanted the UV Sterilizer. Please help, this is my first Sterilizer, i'm not familiar with it at all, i got it cuz someone at a fish store told me it's good to have one to keep parasites and ick under control.

scsinet

Not only can you do it the way you want, but the way the LFS told you to do is is WRONG.
In order to get maximum "kill" on a UV unit, the water needs to pass through SLOWLY (around 5gph / watt IME). With an 11w unit, that puts you at 55gph max since you want to kill hard-to-kill stuff like parasites.
Since most filters operate at well beyond 55gph, putting this thing in line with the filter line is going to put way too much flow through it. Whatever passes through won't be exposed to the light long enough to achive a good kill. Many folks hook their unit up in this way, then claim that UV units are junk when they don't work.

So, using your little submersible pump, submerge the pump in the tank, run a hose out to the unit, then run a hose from the unit back to the tank. If your pump has a flow adjustment, adjust the flow until you get just a trickle coming out... to test that, see how long it takes to fill a 1 gallon milk jug... it should take about 1min if your flow is correct.

nitegrl33

Originally Posted by SCSInet
Not only can you do it the way you want, but the way the LFS told you to do is is WRONG.
In order to get maximum "kill" on a UV unit, the water needs to pass through SLOWLY (around 5gph / watt IME). With an 11w unit, that puts you at 55gph max since you want to kill hard-to-kill stuff like parasites.
Since most filters operate at well beyond 55gph, putting this thing in line with the filter line is going to put way too much flow through it. Whatever passes through won't be exposed to the light long enough to achive a good kill. Many folks hook their unit up in this way, then claim that UV units are junk when they don't work.

So, using your little submersible pump, submerge the pump in the tank, run a hose out to the unit, then run a hose from the unit back to the tank. If your pump has a flow adjustment, adjust the flow until you get just a trickle coming out... to test that, see how long it takes to fill a 1 gallon milk jug... it should take about 1min if your flow is correct.
Thank you so much...I figured he was just trying to sell me the other expensive filter...lol...I'm going to do as you advised, it sounds like the best way to do it. Thanks again....

reefstar

are UV starilizer really good for like a reef tank? 55gal
(tank dosnt have a sump) hob equipment
thanks in advanced
Bobby

bang guy

I've never used one on a reef and I've never wished I had. IMO the money could be spent better on other things.
Just an opinion.

scsinet

The thing about them is their effectiveness is difficult to judge, as anything that could be attributed to them or against them could be attributed for or against some other factor.
To wit:
I suppose I could claim that the computer sitting in my lap right now prevents elephant attacks. You might say "That's crazy!" but I don't see any elephants around... so it MUST be working. My point? There's two ways of looking at it.
UV units have their uses, but where people go wrong with them is when either they hook them up wrong (see my post above), fail to maintain them (and they have significant TCOs with replacement consumables), or have the preconceived misconception that these things are a cure all for everything from failure to quarantine to piss poor aquarium maintenance, like never changing water.
I've got one on my reef, but I shut it off about a year ago and it's just been sitting dark with water going through it doing nothing. I noticed no change in the tank when I did so, so I never plugged it back in. That said, my 180 reef project will include one, but only because I'm going all out with it.

b-fit

SCSInet,
I agree with you on the proper use of UV, but where did you get the 5gph/watt ratio. I've been looking for information on something like that and have had no luck.
sorry don't mean to hijack.

tperk9784

UV sterilizers also kill free floating algae in the tank and from what I have read also can improve the performance of your skimmer by breaking down other components in your water to make them skimmable. The clearer water alone is worth it to me.