UV Sterilizer question

sully

I am trying to figure out what UV to get for my tank. I am about to set up a 240 Gal reef tank thats 24"x25"x96". I am looking at the Coralife Turbo Twist Sterilizers. The 18 watt is rated for 250 gal, 36 watt for up to 500 gal. I understand about the water flow through it affects saturation but I am trying to figure out if the 18 watt is enough. If a lot of space is taken up by sand and live rock that should put me well below the 250 gal rate or should I just go ahead and get the 36 watt. Thanks, Doug

sleasia

I am currently using a 36 watt turbo twist on my 200 gal tank. the price difference is not much between the two. (18 and 36) I got mine from the internet auction site though. Its working great. I have it on a separate pump. I would say if you can afford it always buy bigger. Than you don't have to rebuy if you upgrade later.

sully

Thanks, thats what I was thinking also and later on after the post I remembered the water in the sump will take me back up closer to the 250gal. I've been watching that site also and think the 36w is the way to go. Thanks again.

sleasia

I am running a aquaclear 806 powerhead as the pump with vinyl tubing connecting it to the input on the uv which is just sitting on top of the tank, and another piece of vinyl tubing from the output into the top of the tank...the uv is just sitting up on top of my tank, I have not "installed it" in any permanent manner yet. I will probably change to using a Quiet One 1200 (296 gph) pump which I have sitting around, becaue it will take up less room in the tank. Then I will probably mount the uv on the wall next to the tank and use pvc for more permanent ins and outs. But I am waiting to plumb my sump to the basement first.

tony detroit

Just a heads up guys,
I've read several reports of Turbo Twists catching fire. Might want to try a different brand.