UV Sterilizer ???

jcs69

I recently purchased a Turbo Twist for my 40 gal FOWLRS, I'm not sure if I need to purcahse any additionla equipment to run this UV. I run a AquaClear powerhead and a fluval 304, and a RED SEA Deluxe Prizm Skimmer. Do i need a pump or something similar to run my UV??? How will it get connected??

badkharma

Yes, you need a pump to pump water thru your uv, unless you connect it thru your canister filter, but the flow rate thru the canister filter should be low enough to make the UV effective. Is it the 9 watt turbo twist? If you get a pump, you'll want something with a flow rate no greater than 150-200 gph...
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

jcs69

What if I run it thru my return line on my Fluval 304??? Would the hose fit directly to the Turbo Twist 3X???Or would I need an adapter?? A pump may be easier? I could get a RIo 400 for about 15.00. Don't you want to run filtered water thru the UV??? With a pump it would not be filtered??:confused:

A

amoroso6

jcs69,
I recently hooked up the 6x18w uv turbo twist to mky system. The unit comes with the adapters you need you just have to add the hose. I added a pump just for the unit my flow rate is 220gph you should be less than that for a 3x9w unit, your rate according to the manuf should be around 100gph. the hose you will need should either be a 3/4ID or 5/8 ID. Hope this helps.
Alex

badkharma

Originally posted by jcs69
What if I run it thru my return line on my Fluval 304??? Would the hose fit directly to the Turbo Twist 3X???Or would I need an adapter?? A pump may be easier? I could get a RIo 400 for about 15.00. Don't you want to run filtered water thru the UV??? With a pump it would not be filtered??:confused:

It doesn't have to be filtered.

jcs69

I hooked it up last nite using a powerhead with a prefilter. My tubing is a little longer than needed, should i cut it down or let it go for future adjustments?? Will the excess tube effect my flowrate, I'm running about 106 gph. Any idea???

A

amoroso6

jcs69
How long is the tubing? Unless its 3 or 4 feet longer I really dont think it will affect the UV performance, If it does slow things down abit it wil just alow the uv to work on the water longer before it exits the unit. Just to update my unit, its been about 2 weeks since I've put it in place and the cyana is almost gone I would say its been reduced by 75% and the hair alge by 50%. I'll keep you updated.
Alex

jcs69

I've got about 2 feet extra, if that!!! It seems to be running very well. I'm running a powerhead that pushes 106 gph. My water is crystal clear. I have a FOWLRS and a S&S Puffer, a Picasso and a Yellow Tang. I'm upgrading to a 75 gal around December. Any tips on some nice fish when I upgarde??

A

amoroso6

I like the tangs as well, the clown tang is cool and the Naso (male ) tang with the steamers. Also the scotts wrasse is very colorful.
Alex